Problems with Trianco boiler ( boilerhouse) 16yr boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise please. Have Trianco 50/60 boilerhouse version, had it for 16 years with no problems. Started about a month ago, wouldn't fire up so called in boiler service man. He replaced the capacitor it then ran for 1 day. Called him back and he replaced the oil pump. Ran for a day or 2 them wouldn't start up again. Called him back sais water in oil tank needs draining. We drained water off from bottom via hose/pump. he came back & said we needed another oil pump and also replaced the control unit. Worked for a short while and then wouldn't start again( ie )12 hrs. Spoke boiler man again said we need to drain whole oil tank, flush tank and only put clean oil back in. Did this on Sat ( huge job ) Started boiler up, ran beautifully for 24hrs then packed up again and won't start again now!
Getting really frustrated now and out of pocket by loads of money and still at square 1.
My elderly disabled & frail father lives with us and we're getting desparate.
Please advise if you can. Thank You - Julie

Sponsored Links
Hello.

Right the guy seems to going over the top try to fix stuff that might not
even be a problem.

What is boiler actually doing?

If the boiler has locked out (red light on the burner). What happens
when you press the reset button in to reset it? Does motor start?

A wild guess I would say the coil that switches on the oil, photo cell or motor are more likely causes. It is possible to tell if the oil is a problem by simply using a small barrel or contain of oil and feed the burner with this rather than go to extremes of draining the tank etc. I would say causes like this are much less likely and especially in the summer. The water should be at the opposite end of the tank anyway away from the draw off point.

Get someone else.

Hello, thank you so much for your reply. There doesn't seem to be a red light on the burner but when you press the reset button there is like a fan noise for maybe 10 seconds and then a sort of click noice but nothing actually fires up. When we drained the tank on Saturday there was a lot of sludge in the bottom of tank and was wondering if it's likely the nozzle could be blocked because there is a good flow of oil going from tank to tiger loop and good from tiger loop to the next place ( oil pump I think? )
Thank you
Julie

Good.

The ignition sequence of the burner is.

1. Start motor up so fan is running.
2. Check that the photo cell is returning a dark setting (no flame)
3. Start sparking (you should hear a sparking crackling noise.
4. Release the oil with the solenoid.
5. There should then be the bang as the oil ignites.
6. Burner verifies flame with photo cell.

From your description it sounds as if there is no spark. This can be verified
by turning the oil off with the valve at the burner. Removing the burner from the boiler so you can see the ignition electrodes and starting the burner to see if you are getting a spark.

If there is no spark possibilities are photo cell or transformer.
If there is a spark the next step is to see if there is oil coming through.

Sponsored Links
The Previous post is good as long as a RIELLO BURNER is not involved!
Which burner is fitted to your TRO 15/19?
it may be Orange coloured, or black, (Bentone inter PL10), it may be silver or in a Red cover (Riello)

Riello burners work in a very diffrent way to the Bentone models importantly there is no ignition spark untill oil is released, so checking the spark is not so easy to check!

But your original Engineer sounds dubious to say the least
if he changed an oil pump with water present in the fuel, then he should be liable when that new pump fails!!! :confused:

Hello, Thank you so much for replying also.
It is a RIELLO BURNER, silver casing. It is a Riello 40 burner as far as I can make out from my old paperwork. Are there any other things that you think I should know about Riello burners? please
Thank You - Julie

Just a couple of things, Julie - did your engineer replace the solenoid coil (a three wire thing) that sits on the oil pump and allows the oil through on command, and I'm also wondering if yours has the hydraulic door that allows air into the burner when the oil pump gets up to pressure? If he looks through this door, he can ascertain that the motor actually starts to spin......
John :)

When the new pump was fitted check with your guy that the bypass screw was screwed in. This is a small grub screw like thing which needs fitting in the return port of the pump when using a tiger loop. I did go to one once which was supposed to have had this done but on inspection the screw was missing. I fitted a new one and on packing up i found the original screw on the floor. So the previous guy thought he had fitted it but had actually dropped it :rolleyes: . Stix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back