Finishing off fire board

M

marsaday

View media item 36041
Any idea how i finish the edge of the PB going up my stairs. I can see when i plaster i have no stop end to plaster to.

Do i just fit some angled wood over the edge. Are there any nice molding i can get for this ?

Also i have to box in a part of the wall plate. Do i just use PB for this or do i use something else

View media item 36042

Sponsored Links
Any idea how i finish the edge of the PB going up my stairs. I can see when i plaster i have no stop end to plaster to.
You should have fitted a thin coat edge bead before hanging the board;
http://buildingmaterials.co.uk/Metal-Beads/Plasterboard-Edge-Bead.html
this gives you something to plaster up to.

Also i have to box in a part of the wall plate. Do i just use PB for this or do i use something else
Yes, just box it in with PB but use thin coat angle bead on the external edges
http://buildingmaterials.co.uk/Meta...-Thin-coat-angle-bead-x-2400mm-box-of-50.html
or, again, you’ll have nothing to plaster up to.

Questions;
How many fixings in the board? Maximum spacing is 230mm & they should be screws not nails; not clear from the photo.

Why have you left a gap between the boards? They should always be close butted.

Why did you use Fireline?

why fireline ? Well you need fireboard on new stairs dont you ? BC have said it is ok.

gap = cutting not so good, so have no gap at top, but a little in the middle.

So these beads, are they the same as normal board beads or is thin coat bead another type ?

So do you fit them to the board before you hang it ?

But wont the end bead look a bit crap running up the length of the stair?

ie, it will be either metal or pvc ?

Sponsored Links
But wont the end bead look a bit crap running up the length of the stair?

ie, it will be either metal or pvc ?
it will be metal and it is the best option in this situation and yes you fit it before the board goes up, also while you are at taking the board off you may want to throw that bit away and cut a new bit to fit, if a jobs worth doing proper and all that ;)
you could alays fit a bit of wooden trim up later if you want to make it look better

But won’t the end bead look a bit crap running up the length of the stair?
You don’t leave it steel coloured :rolleyes: ; the bead protects the exposed edge of the board & provides a lip to plaster up to. Once you’ve plastered you have two choices, either paint it or if you don’t fancy seeing a ceiling coloured board edge, fit a timber moulding to cover it; the main thing is it’s provides a nice straight protected edge to the board.

The alternative now is to fit a plaster stop bead to the edge of the board;
http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!GPBSBG0324!!/
Plaster & fit a timber mounding to cover the edge of the board as above.

I use them a lot, mainly for constructing service access panels which I make form Aqapanel not PB & I get ordinary Multi to stick to it without using Knauf's "special" plaster ;)

i may get a stop bead. All done now and i have bought an L shaped bit of timber to fit over the edge.

i have held it up to the stairs and it looks good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back