How do I remove a c/h radiator and fit stop ends?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a radiator but leave pipework (10mm copper) sealed off under the floorboards. What is the best way to do this? I have ordered two brass 10mm compresssion cap ends.

Sponsored Links
Turn off mains cold water.
Drain central heating system from lowest point.
Cut pipes.
Cap off pipes.
Turn water back on.
Bleed all radiators.
Turn on heating / Test.

Thanks for that. That does seem to be the sensible way to do it.
I am on a Combi boiler and a 10 mm system. I was hoping not to have to drain the system. If I shut down all radiators at both ends, so no pressure from them. Would it be possible to cut the pipe and quickly put the stop end on with only slight leakage?

I think you would be wise to call in expert help. The task is very simple but can end up causing damage. You are asking for guidance up front, which is comendable, but if things start to go belly up, you will be in deep water (no pun intended). Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Perhaps I can get BGas to renew the water in the system and do the capping then. The Fernox or whatever they use has been in the system about six years. How often should it be renewed? I mentioned it at the last service and got a 'not necessary' answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back