Fixing a Stiff Tap on a Kitchen Mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have a cold tap on my kitchen mixer that is very stiff to turn.

At the moment I am leaving the tap insert in place (quite stuck too) and have poured some vinegar over the tap insert to see if this will dissolve limescale and free the tap up. Does anyone think this might work, or won't the vinegar get into the tap insert?

The thing is, when I use the tap isolation valve to cut the water supply to the mixer, the cold tap turns quite freely, it's only when I turn the water on that the stiffness occurs. Does that mean it's not the limescale but the washer causing the problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't even bother. A pair of brass bits with tops is only £12 or so. Just change it.

Don't even bother. A pair of brass bits with tops is only £12 or so. Just change it.

You reckon replace the entire tap insert then? The only thing that concerns me is how easy it is to find an exact match. The kitchen mixer does look fairly common to me, so I guess it shouldn't be that hard. I did however find a guide to maintaining tap inserts and was thinking of immersing the existing ones in vinegar to remove limescale:

http://www.plumbteamltd.co.uk/tap.html

Rgds

Sponsored Links
As suggested, replace the tap inserts as a whole. Take one to your merchant as a pattern and change both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back