Plasterboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm about to take on my first try of dot and dabbing...

I'm going to do the ceiling first which i'm screwing to the joists, no overboarding.

My ceiling height is 2470mm and the plasterboard is 12.5mm thick on ceiling. My questions are

1) do you board the ceiling right up to the walls or do you leave the gap for the wall boards?

2) what do you do about the difference in height? i.e. the wall board is 2400mm x 1200mm and my ceiling is 2470mm so there is a 70mm gap. maybe 15mm less depending on the answer to the first question. Do you put 70mm of board at the bottom of the walls?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to do the ceiling first which i'm screwing to the joists, no overboarding.
Drywall screws - spacing not too far apart.

My ceiling height is 2470mm and the plasterboard is 12.5mm thick on ceiling. My questions are

1) do you board the ceiling right up to the walls or do you leave the gap for the wall boards?

Right up to the walls. The wall boards should help support the edges on the ceiling boards too.

2) what do you do about the difference in height? i.e. the wall board is 2400mm x 1200mm and my ceiling is 2470mm so there is a 70mm gap. maybe 15mm less depending on the answer to the first question. Do you put 70mm of board at the bottom of the walls?

I'd have the gaps at the top. If you do at the bottom, when fixing skirting boards it may not be as strong. There is also a lot of weight of a full size board sitting on a thin strip, so may slide out of plumb more readily.

Also remember you don't put boards directly on the floor.
You use a couple of strips of board offcuts to sit your wall boards on when D&D. So strictly not 70mm gap at the top when allowing for this extra gap at the bottom.

if the boards don't reach up to the ceiling and the is a 70mm gap i would stagger those for strength i wouldn't have a 70mm continuous line around my room
"EDIT" also dont forget to stagger your boards on the ceiling

Board the ceiling first long edge across the joists as stated; short edge to coincide with 1/2 the joist width & stagger the board joints; screw fixings 200mm - 230mm max.

Are you fitting a skirting boards much wider than 70mm? If 100mm or so, I would be inclined to infill at the bottom as the skirting will cover it & any join.

Sponsored Links
There are no noggins at present. Would you add these?
Assuming your talking about the ceiling; if your joists are spaced at 450mm, your using 12.5mm boards & your going to skim not tape & fill (god forbid) then no noggins required.

In regard to the ceiling. i've been reading other posts that i should put a 3mm gap between boards for the jointing compound. Would you agree with this?

I will be skimming... Just to confirm, I should still be scrimming and joining/filling before i skim, if im correct?

In regard to the ceiling. i've been reading other posts that i should put a 3mm gap between boards for the jointing compound. Would you agree with this?
No ignore the other posts (where are they?), you may be getting confused with tape & fill. As Steve posted butt the boards closely, if there are any noticeable gaps fill out before taping as the skim can shrink back & show through as lines in the finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back