Schneider RCBO's

S

steviez

Hi,

Im trying to source some Schneider RCBO's (type B) to fit their Merlin Gerin 3 Phase boards at the best price I can as my local wholesalers have quoted £70 + each. Is there any reason that the only ones I can ever find online seem to be type C?

Anyone know a good place to buy them from?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I know only type C's are available. £70 is about right I'm afraid.

Oh.... They are needed to protect socket outlets in a cooking area and others too. Type C would not be any good?

Type C will be fine as long as the Zs and short circuit protection is within limits. (An RCD is not a plaster for a poorly designed circuit with high Zs)

Sponsored Links
Type C will be fine as long as the Zs and short circuit protection is within limits. (An RCD is not a plaster for a poorly designed circuit with high Zs)

Is there any reason why they only come in type C? you can get type B in all other makes.

Merlin gerin tend to cater more for commercial use.

Circuits designed to take "C" rated tend to be more common in commercial installs, same with Mcb's, I assume because nuisance tripping can cause more inconvenience, etc and
"B type tends to be more common in domestic.

Merlin gerin tend to cater more for commercial use.

Circuits designed to take "C" rated tend to be more common in commercial installs, same with Mcb's, I assume because nuisance tripping can cause more inconvenience, etc and
"B type tends to be more common in domestic.

Whats the alternative to this then? The board is a 24 way 3 phase with no RCD protection. There are 4 socket circuits for use with microwaves, kettles, toasters etc.

When 415.1.2 says "The use of an RCD is not recognised as a sole means of protection...", I presume it means that literally, in which case it is obviously true/sensible - an RCD obviously provides no protection against overload or L-N faults. However, as ricicle has just said, when it comes to TT systems, one usually has no option but to rely on an RCD as the 'sole means of protection' in the presence of L-E faults - since most TT electrodes would not result in enough L-E fault current to operate even a 6A MCB, let alone one of higher rating.

Kind Regards, John.

When 415.1.2 says "The use of an RCD is not recognised as a sole means of protection...", I presume it means that literally, in which case it is obviously true/sensible
As 415 has the heading of ADDITIONAL PROTECTION I read it as meaning, as it indeed states, that 411 to 414 must still be complied with.
an RCD obviously provides no protection against overload or L-N faults. However, as ricicle has just said, when it comes to TT systems, one usually has no option but to rely on an RCD as the 'sole means of protection' in the presence of L-E faults - since most TT electrodes would not result in enough L-E fault current to operate even a 6A MCB, let alone one of higher rating.
This is a 'no other option' proviso if usual methods CANNOT be met - unavoidable as ricicle says.

In a 'normal' dwelling, mansions apart, it would be very poor practice to apply an RCD because the installation was faulty and did not meet the normal disconnection criteria.

As 415 has the heading of ADDITIONAL PROTECTION I read it as meaning, as it indeed states, that 411 to 414 must still be complied with.
Yes, but as we've discussed before, 411 actually appears to allow that 'primary' automatic disconnection of L-E faults can be provided by an RCD (the footnote to Table 41.1 says "Where compliance with this regulation is provided by an RCD ...."). Hence, it would appear that an RCD can provide both 'primary' and 'additional' fault protection - or am I misinterpreting?

This is a 'no other option' proviso if usual methods CANNOT be met - unavoidable as ricicle says.
As above, the regs seem to imply (actually, say) that an RCD can be used as a 'usual method' of satisfying 411.3.2.2 for primary L-E fault protection.

In a 'normal' dwelling, mansions apart, it would be very poor practice to apply an RCD because the installation was faulty and did not meet the normal disconnection criteria.
No argument there. I would personally actually say that that it was always bad practice to use an RCD 'because the installation was faulty', even if were a mansion!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back