DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Fitting a wood burner into a shed?

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhippydad

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I will be fitting a woodburner into my 14' by 10' shed and I need help!

What I really need answers to are the following:

1. I have the pyrimid shaped silicone rubber thingy that goes on top of the roof and fits snugly around the flue to create a watertight seal, but where I have cut out the hole in the roof the wood will be only 2" away from the flue. I assume I need to protect it somehow? Could I just use the left over bits of the silicone rubber roof flashing and somehow attach it around the hole on the inside of the roof?

[/img]

2. I need the flue to come out of the back of the burner. How do i support the 2m of cast iron flue? Do I need to? Once all the fire cement is hardened will this support it?

3. I have left over paving slabs that will fit around the the woodburner attached to the shed wall (roughly 18") from burner. These reach the height of the burner but I will not have anything protecting the walls where the flue rises up (approx 18" from walls). I realise the flue will get extremely hot, but surely I dont need protection all the way to the top of the shed where the flue goes up?

4. the flue will rise 600mm out of the roof (which will still leave it a little below the ridge of the apex). Is that ok?

Thats the lot! Question 1 is the one I'm most stuck on.

Thanks alot

Steve..

[/img]
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
mointainwalker

from France

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote

If it's a cast-iron flue, it is single-skin and you want to have that within 50 mm of thin wood ?

I don't know about the legalities of stoves in sheds but what you need is space: probably about 250 mm between the flue and any flammable material.

I haven't looked it up, but is that seal you mention not designed for a double-skinned flue ?

Quote:
the flue will rise 600mm out of the roof (which will still leave it a little below the ridge of the apex). Is that ok?

Don't know. Depends on what structures, trees nearby and their height relative to your flue, direction of prevailing wind and exactly what you mean by
Quote:
a little below
 Alert Moderators
happyhippydad

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote

Thanks for that..

The flue is 5" diameter. I thought perhaps I could fit a 7" diameter steel flue/hat/plate thingy (see pic below) around the cast iron flue where it goes through the roof and then fill the space between flues will some kind of heatproof insulation?

Also a picture of the roof flashing (it states it can take temperatures up to 270c (I dont know what temperature a cast iron flue reaches - any ideas?)

roof rlashing
roof rlashing

Thanks, Steve.
 Alert Moderators
mointainwalker

from France

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Well I've already told you what I think about a 50 mm gap.

Depending on the wood you burn, it would not be unusual for a stove to burn at 450/500 C and I can't imagine the exhaust gases will be significantly cooler.
The following user says thank you to mointainwalker for this useful post:
happyhippydad (7 Aug 2011)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: