Damp/Airbrick question, with photo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a damp patch rising up a wall in one room. Directly outside is the air brick below.
You can see that its effectively at ground level and I wondered if this was correct - I imagine they should be higher and I believe the ground was brought up around it.
I think water is going in through the bottom holes in the air brick. How best to remedy if this is unusual? I thought about blocking it all up or perhaps just the bottom holes?
Thanks in advance.
20110807172756.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does the vent go through the wall above or below ground level?

Hi,
Just measured levels and the vent is about 4 inches below the level of the interior floor.

Sponsored Links
Just in case it's not obvious from the picture - that is concrete under the gravel!

Hi,
Just measured levels and the vent is about 4 inches below the level of the interior floor.

I had this same problem when i moved into my property. The vent was just under floorboards and on the outside someone had raised the ground level, so the vent was only half visible. I was getting damp problems, so i reduced the ground level so that the vent was fully visible and any rainwater would also be kept out.

My advice is for you to reduce the ground level like i did and possibly you may need a damp course too.

1. dont ever block or remove an air-brick, esp. in older property.
2. where is the DPC ( if there is one ) in relation to the lowest part of your timber floor joisting?
3. is this a 9" solid wall?
4. you might, as has been suggested, have to install a perimeter drain to re-direct water from the building.
5. air-bricks are to provide ventilation not to stop damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back