Potty potterton suprima 50, turning off the hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my potterton boiler has gone a bit potty, it is eleven years old and has started to turn the boiler on to heat the water even when the slider is in the off position on the ep2002 controller. It will heat the water and then turn off once it is hot. As I have an electric shower I do not want ANY other hot water so the whole thing is turned off at the electric switch during the summer (this works if I want to turn the boiler off when it is heating water but it sort of sulks for a couple of minutes when I turn it back on if I need the CH in the winter). It has a three way Potterton valve thing for the CH and hot water which has a mechanical slider operation as well as the auto mode - not sure if I can turn the water heating off with this.

What I would like to do is use the boiler only for CH (with the option to get the water heating working in the future if I want to sell the house), so is there a way to disconnect the timer so the boiler never fires up thinking it has to heat the water. I could take the three way valve out and connect directly to the CH pipe but not sure what would happen if the boiler fired up for some reason thinking it was still trying to heat the water!

As it is eleven years old I do not want to spend money on only to have the thing fail shortly afterwards.

Can anyone recommend a CH-only boiler that would run directly off mains water if I decide not to sell the house.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler provides whatever the controller tells it to do.

We dont know if the problem is the controller or if its wrongly connected.

Your system if working properly is capable of doing exactly what you want of it.

Tony

Hi my potterton boiler has gone a bit potty, it is eleven years old and has started to turn the boiler on to heat the water even when the slider is in the off position on the ep2002 controller....
Chances are that the problem is the controller. It could possibly be the valve, though unlikely and certainly not the boiler.
If you replace the timer, make sure you get one that is known as INDEPENDENT. This means you can program ch and dhw at times that do not overlap, which gives a massive boost in performance.
Personally, I would choose a Honeywell rather than another ep.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies... have not tested it yet but I have turned the temperature control on the water cylinder down to zero as looking at some schematics it suggests that the water heating needs both the controller and the water cylinder to call for heat so now even if the controller is telling it to heat the circuit will not be complete. The programmer and boiler works fine for CH so I would rather stagger on with these if I can stop the water heating part coming on. Unfortunately, testing it means running the CH for a couple of hours to see if the water heating still starts up on its own and I will have to wait for the cold weather before I use any gas.

BTW I tend not to use the timer function in the CH or water heating, just turning it on and off when I need it (work from home) so I would be quite happy to run it off the room thermostat if I could completely eliminate the programmer but no idea how to do that. Or fit a much simpler controller.

Reading the forums, seems like if it has Potterton on it (contorller, valves, etc), the best thing to do is bin it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back