warped panels on a timber panel door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a timber 4 panel door where one of the panels is warped and bowing out. I want to straighten it out. Has anyone else come across this problem (lots of people seem to have had cracks in the panels but I;ve not seen anyone talking about the panels bowing out).

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome daveybdab :D :D :D

you get split panels because the wood shrinks and contracts
this normally isnt a problem because the panels can expand and contract in the grooves with a dot of glue on each edge to stop rattleling
often painting stops expansion causes cracking
have you got a picture off your door??
has the door been subject to gentle caressing with a boot knocking it out off off the slot and catching on an edge stopping it springing back

Thanks for the reply big-all.
I have attached a few photos to help describe the problem. I got the doors from a building that was being renovated so don't know their history. The bowed panels do appear to be in the grooves in the door. I noticed that on the side where the panel is bowed out there appears to be a filled in crack that is not filled on the other side. Perhaps if i remove the filler material and steam the panel i might be able to push it back? any ideas of what I can do?

was it stored in the wet or wet stripped ??
thats a lot off movement

at worse you choose a moulding that matches
cut the wood to reveal the rebate all round at the correct depth and distance to let the moulding line up with the other mouldings on the door
easiest done with a router :D

Sponsored Links
I think they had been outside for a few days when i found them, not sure before then. I might cut out the warped panels and put back ply panels. to avoid having to take the whole door apart i could just fix the panels with the mouldings?

because its a wood door with panels the mouldings are part off the assembly if the panels are glazed its pin in beading

so if you plan on replacing the panels with glass then pin in or wood then glue in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back