DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Unable to watch tv channels through my Sony DVD recorder.

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
didgeradoo4719

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote

I have a Sharp 40 inch Aquos TV, model no. LC40 LE 700E and I connected my Sony RDR GX210 DVD player/recorder to it via a scart lead and a tv in and out lead. I can watch DVDs via the tv from the dvd player, but I cannot view any tv channels through the dvd player/recorder. I have tried several times to run the setup and download all the freeview channels but I just get a fuzzy screen whenever I select a tv channel. I have also tried to manually install the tv channels without success. Please help! Thanks.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
CynicalSoul

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote

More than likely you just have the aerial leads connected incorrectly.
Make sure that the coax leads are:

AERIAL ---> DVD INPUT

DVD OUTPUT ---> TV INPUT

This might seem obvious but you'd be surprised how many times this happens.
If you are getting TV channels show up fine on your TV but not your player I would guess that the lead coming from the aerial goes straight to the TV and the other lead is just looped from input to output on the DVD player.
 Alert Moderators
didgeradoo4719

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I have in fact connected the leads as you have indicated, but I still cannot see a picture on the TV through the DVD player/recorder. I've tried using 'Set up' via the DVD remote and also tried setting the tv channels up manually, but neither method has worked. I can view a pre-recorded DVD but that's all. Would you think connecting my SKY + HD box to DVD to TV and using the HDMI connections make any difference?
 Alert Moderators
CynicalSoul

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote

As you now mention a sky box, do you have an aerial connection at all?
i.e. On your TV can you watch BBC one with the sky box on standby?
 Alert Moderators
didgeradoo4719

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply. I probably didn't explain my problem properly. I cancelled Sky, so disconnected the Sky HD+ box and just have my Sharp Aquous TV connected to my Sony DVD player/recorder. I want to be able to record TV onto DVDs but I can't get a TV channel to show through the DVD recorder as I used to be able to do when I had it connected to a Sony TV (old style box type TV). Hope you understand what it is I'm trying to do! I have a scart lead from the DVD to the TV as well as the aerial lead from the roof to the DVD 'IN' and another lead from the DVD 'OUT' socket to the TV. Still not seeing anything on the TV when I select the EXT 1 or 2 on the TV controller.
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote

did you watch it on the old tv via the scart or did you have to use a channel button tuned into the dvd aeriel output??
 Alert Moderators
Sam Gangee

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Does the Sony DVD have a Freeview tuner?
 Alert Moderators
ericmark

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote

There are a number of reasons why it may fail.
One is the TV and DVD using the same system? I have found my Blu-ray player when connected to my DVD recorder defaults to US system not UK system in may case TV will work with either.
The is also the problem in using a channel already in use. With old analogue it was easy to see the problem but with mixture of analogue and digital easy for one to interfere with other and not realise.
It could even be the TV needs setting for analogue when watching through DVD box.
 Alert Moderators
didgeradoo4719

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote

Hi. I used to switch the DVD recorder on and it automatically found it via a scart lead. I've decided to disconnect it now anyway, but thanks for trying to sort it out for me!

big-all wrote:
did you watch it on the old tv via the scart or did you have to use a channel button tuned into the dvd aeriel output??
 Alert Moderators
ChrisFrost

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Sam Gangee was on the right lines. This recorder has only the old style analogue TV tuner (channels 1-4 + 5 if in an areas that receives it). It doesn't have a Freeview tuner.

The West Country TV transmitters have all completed the switchover from analogue to digital. Any reception or recording devices without a digital tuner will just get snow when the tuning process is tried. That's didgeradoo4719's problem

Adding a freeview box and dedicating it to the Sony recorder is one solution. A new recorder with freeview tuner is another. If the Sky dish and Sky box is still available then a one-off payment for a free-to-view satellite card will work also.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Audio Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: