Britony combi se 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having another new water pressure sensor to get the boiler working, heating flow isolating valve, heat exchanger and numerous seals to stop a slight leak, I am still without hot water! At £50 + coffee per visit I'm £360 down so far! I need to confirm what needs replacing before I either do it myself or get the boilerman back. Lights 70 and 80 meaning no flame detection. What do I check and how?

Sponsored Links
Is it April 1st?

You seem to be saying that you have called someone who charges just £50 per visit and picks a part to change without any apparent diagnostic.

Ignoring the incapability of that person, you fuel his excesses by continuing to pay him even though has not fixed your boiler.

British Gas have a fixed fee repair at about £200 !

Most independents charge about £80 plus parts but most would guarantee their diagnostic skills and not charge for parts which did not fix the problem.

A lack of ignition would indicate a gas/combustion related problem. That would require a registered gas engineer.

Why not just ask this fellow to either repair your boiler as requested or return your money?

As for complaining about the coffee, thats just simple hospitality and politeness!

Sorry Agile, I am not complaining, I just want my boiler fixed! I diagnosed the water pressure sensor both times. He replaced the part. He also replaced the wrong parts to 'fix' the leak and it was eventually the heat exchanger pipe causing the problem. I am an engineer and if the problem is electrical or mechanical then I will have a go but if it gas related then I will have to get him back. But at least I can then point him in the right direction. Any help?

£360 on this hunk of junk, in car terms thats what they call a Write Off, as Agile said ign related you need an RGI, also i advise you use one for any boiler work carried out

Sponsored Links
Sorry Agile, I am not complaining, I just want my boiler fixed!

I diagnosed the water pressure sensor
both times. He replaced the part. He also replaced the wrong parts to 'fix' the leak and it was eventually the heat exchanger pipe causing the problem.

Well in the generality you should be complaining, not about giving him coffee, but that he has not fixed your boiler and replaced some wrong parts!

But! If you told him what to replace thats taking the responsibility for the diagnosis away from him.

Unfortunately, many people think they know better than an ignorant plumber who left school at 15. Or they just assume anything they read on a forum is bound to be the cause. The reality is that considerable skill is needed to diagnose some boiler faults and the only place to do that and be bound to be right is in front of the boiler.

The correct way to deal with boiler repairs is to give the engineer freedom to repair it according to HIS diagnosis. If he then does not fix the fault then he should not get paid.

If you tell them what to replace then they are following YOUR instructions and they they have done exactly what was asked of them and should be paid regardless of the effectiveness of any repair.

Ignoring the fact that your boiler is not a very good one, it is totally repairable. Not all engineers are very experienced with repairing them. But they should not take on a job if they cannot complete it.

Your problem seems to be gas/combustion related and we cannot advise on that on an open forum.

My view is that you should ask for the return of some of the money and appoint a new ( competent ) engineer.

Tony

Well. The boiler worked for a short while after but the same fault returned. I didn't tell him what to replace, I gave my opinion and he checked it to confirm the fault before replacing the pressure sensor. He isn't an ignorant plumber as he is a RGI. I am asking for ideas to help him diagnose the problem so that it can be fixed. He is not that experienced on Britony boilers but like any engineer he will try to do his best on most makes. If I ask him for my money back.... would you return the money? I would never see him again and to get an engineer out after 5pm...!
I am asking for advice on the fault diagnosis, but if you want to give other advice, try telling me where I can get a good, honest, reasonably charging plumber with Britony experience!

Well. The boiler worked for a short while after but the same fault returned. I didn't tell him what to replace, I gave my opinion and he checked it to confirm the fault before replacing the pressure sensor. He isn't an ignorant plumber as he is a RGI.

I am asking for ideas to help him diagnose the problem so that it can be fixed. He is not that experienced on Britony boilers but like any engineer he will try to do his best on most makes. If I ask him for my money back.... would you return the money? I would never see him again and to get an engineer out after 5pm...!

I am asking for advice on the fault diagnosis, but if you want to give other advice, try telling me where I can get a good, honest, reasonably charging plumber with Britony experience!

Well I would never even think of charging if I had not diagnosed the problem.

Of course if the fault was fixed but returned then I would come back to see what else was wrong at no extra cost. But then I charge a fixed diagnostic fee on a no-fix no-fee basis which in my view is the fairest way to charge.

We are not permitted on this forum to give advice on DIY gas repairs. Nor is it always possible to do anything other than guess.

But if you try to lead the RGI with your suggestions then that may distract him into thinking you will be more happy with him.

Sometimes I have to refuse to help people who have the wrong idea of whats wrong. Usually they back down and apologise when I demonstrate they are wrong.

Tony

He did tell you British Gas and at max you would of paid £399 put prob less, and trust me if you do repairs alot, on all boilers, you have experiance on Chaffs as they are cheap nasty things, that always break down

A Chauf is made and designed in France.

Ask car people about Citreons!

Having said that I say a Cit L15 each of the last two weekends ( although it could have been the same one twice ).

Tony

Simply get the manual and follow the fault finding section.

It should lead you in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back