Boat alarm advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a basic "wired" alarm in my Motor Boat, 1 or maybe 2 PIR's and 1 magnetic switch for the door, is such a basic unit available?

Sponsored Links
Most likely.
I am pretty sure that you can get an ordinary house alarm and remove the power supply and replace it with battery connections.

As long as the power supply output to the panel is 12v (most are) then it should be fine run off batteries.

The rest are all going to be 12v too.

or a wireless one like a Yale will run for a few years on alkaline batteries before they run down and need changing.

Thanks for your replies, a wireless one would certainly be easier but I seem to think they get a lot of criticism from some pro's, or have things moved on and they are now much better?

Sponsored Links
the pro's always criticise DIY alarms.

They have a particular dislike for someone on here who is in the business of fitting Yales.

IMO for a cheap, simple DIY fit, they are very suitable. You can also put an extra siren at the top of your mast where intruders will find it difficult to attack.

the pro's always criticise DIY alarms.
Might this be a good time to declare your position? Diyer/someon who happens to have one or someone whoactually fits Alarm systems for a living?

Makes a difference. Especially when looking at annual insurance premiums we have to pay to support our advice. I say that because i've just got my renewal - eyewatering.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I do not sell or install alarms.

I have no vested interest in promoting or attacking any alarm system.

On the other hand.....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I do not sell or install alarms.

Then why say they are suitable for a boat?
I have "wired" a few in my time. You have to be careful where you drill...................
Wireless on a boat is to be avoided, for many reasons.

I really like the idea of fitting a SAB on a mast.
Totally encapsulated are they?
Can be used as a radar? Or a pulley?

If you do not sell nor install the items requested, be a good lad and shut up.

To the OP, a NSI/SSAIB company can assist for this.
http://www.ssaib.org/
http://www.nacoss.org.uk/

So sad.
You have to twist words to try and look good.

Obviously have no idea on detection and life systems.

Really, think about what is needed on a boat. Then think double.

IMO for a cheap, simple DIY fit, they are very suitable.

2confused can come back and tell us his criteria for choice of system if he wants.

As an expert, you can of course define what you deem fit in this instance.

But as you admit, you are not.
By all means give advice in your field. Otherwise..........read above.

IMO for a cheap, simple DIY fit, they are very suitable.

I am sorry that you have difficulty grasping the concept of a cheap, simple DIY fit.

I am sorry you cannot grasp certain issues with boats and wireless systems.

Oh dear, I feared this split in opinions, thanks to all anyway.

I would genuinely be pleased if anyone would expand on the possible problems of wireless types on a boat, as I said it really needs to be as simple and basic as possible, the main requirement is to make as much noise as possible with maybe a strobe light in the event of an intruder, as the craft in question will be in an isolated place and in winter not many people [honest ones] about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back