New Vailant boiler fitted - Should I replace old radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say the radiators are 20/25 years old. When taken-off, black dirt came out of them.

Should I replace them, or can I clean them out somehow?

I had the boiler working for a short time but am concerned that the sludge may damage the boiler.

Have taken all of the rads off to decorate. I've got a plumber coming on Saturday to fit a new bathroom so somethign he can do?

Also, should I replace all of the valves, please?

Thank-you in advance.

Sponsored Links
who fitted the boiler? its the installers responsibility to make sure the boiler is connected to a clean system whatever that involves. Old rads can be cleaned, best you can do as a DIYer imo is remove them and flush them out in the garden.

It would be best to replace as new is always better. How many radiators do you have as you can get a power flush but as far as I know is normally around £550 (BG). Might work out cheaper replacing if you ar handy puttng them on. Best wait to see what anyone else says though.

Sponsored Links
After flushing the rads you could fit a TF1 or Magnaclean filter on the return to catch any further dirt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back