Strange cable found in my wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Starting some work on my new house (new to me). Started to sink a 1 gang back box into the hall way for the thermostat.

On scanning the wall my detector was showing live mains, but nothing was on that wall, no light switch or sockets close at all.

After some careful plaster removal I found this rather strange black cable, it reminds me of the figure 8 shotgun cable used by Sky. After some investigation is only become live when the 6A lights breaker was switched on, it runs vertical from ceiling down to floor.

In the living room, I have had some plaster taken off for some damp work, and the same cable type was found cut but not live. Checked a couple of light switches, they all have normal twin and earth.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Do you have any concrete floors?

It may be a type of cable that is designed to go in concrete floors.

Or it may not.

Here's another guess - old bell wire/ telephone cable?
Or even speaker cable.

What is the conductor made of?
And what size would you say it is?

Hi,

Don't think so the same kind of wire is in the living room by the fireplace,this one is 1/3rd up the stairs. The outa dia of the cable is about 5 mmm with two cores, about 1mm, the bridge section that links the two cores is about 5mm wide.

Will take up the floor upstairs tomorrow and see if I can find the top.

Really odd.

Sponsored Links
How are you testing that the cable becomes live when you energise the 6amp lighting circuit?

If it is redundant cable disconnected but left in place then it is unlikely ( but not impossible ) that it can become dangerously live. (*)

If the redundant cable runs close to the new and active cables then it may become apparently live to high impedance testers by voltages being capacitively induced in it from the new active cabes.

(*) Test for live using a low impedence volt meter ( or a test lamp ) to know if it is connected to the live supply and is therefor dangerously live or that it merely appears to be live due to induced voltages which will be reduced to practically zero by any applied load.

Hi,
No other cables within 1m, I will check with multimeter today.

Got to love these little surprises, lol

Cheers

Looks like an old rubber cable to me. Could have been left in and connected to a feed somewhere when the property was re wired in the past.

No other cables within 1m, I will check with multimeter today.
It is under floor boards where the old and the new may share the same notches in joists that the most capactive coupling occurs.

Got to love these little surprises, lol
Not always " love ", not when they are really live from a nail through old and new cables. ( which my cousin found in a house )

looks like Maconite cable which has a very distinctive 0--0 shape.

Dates pre World War Two.

Would that correspond with the age of the house?

Thanks All,

It runs diagonal too, madness.

House was built 1930 :)

0--0 is 100% the shape, and feels rubble like.

Found it connected into the lighting circuit. It is now disconnected :)

I will be getting the whole house re-wired anyway, :)

Cheers,
All

Thanks All,

It runs diagonal too, madness.

House was built 1930 :)

0--0 is 100% the shape, and feels rubble like.

Found it connected into the lighting circuit. It is now disconnected :)

I will be getting the whole house re-wired anyway, :)

Cheers,
All

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back