Wood burning stove too deep for chimney breast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all
I'm fitting a new cassette wood burning stove in a chimney breast in my lounge. I am just making the opening in the chimney breast but the chimney is not deep enough, I need another 25mm.

I have a cavity wall which the chimney breast is built into. The back of the chimney breast is basically the outerskin of the house (ie just one 4" wall separating from outside)

I don't really want to have to plasterboard and re-skim the front of the chimney breast as I cannot skim myself and I would also need to get someone in to re-do the coving.

Could I chip off an inch of brick on the inside of the chimney breast to get my extra inch depth?

Or Could I rebrick this small section using 3" wide bricks? Are this available or would I need to cut down myself?

How hot does the back of a wood burning stove get? Do I need special bricks?

Any advice/comments would be a massive help, thank u kindly:)

Sponsored Links
From memory, you need a minimum of 150mm clearance all round the stove.

Also, from memory, there's no problem with the stove projecting out of the chimney breast, as long as the hearth extends sufficiently to provide protection, I think it's 300mm.

Perhaps Richard_C will be along shortly to provide some definitive guidance.

If not I'll dig out the references provided by Richard and check. Or you could search on Richard's posts for his references/reg's.

Thanks RedHerring2. Sorry I forgot to say that this stove is an inset stove, so it has a flange around the edge that is designed to be fixed to the edge of the opening.

Ive included a picture so will hopefully make sense.

The builders opening that is required (according to manual) is 735X435 by 355 depth. The maximum depth that I have is 330, annoyingly 25mm too shallow!

Thanks very much for your help:)

Ahh, I see your problem.

I think you'll have a hard job of shaving 25mm off the back of the opening. Whether it's advisable or not, I couldn't comment. I am aware that the flue gases need to be kept as warm as possible, so how this would affect that due to the reduction in the depth of the wall, I don't know.
I'd be tempted to ask the stove supplier for guidance.

I've just finished installing my stove, here in France. I'll stick some pictures into the Projects Forum, when I get a chance.
What I had to do was to extend the wings of the opening, which was no problem due to the stage of the renovation and it needed new lintels as well. It also gives me a good 200mm deep mantle shelf.
But mine is a stand alone model.

Incidentally I've found that post of Richard C's that I referred to;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2047417#2047417

Sponsored Links
Thanks again there is a lot of info there!

I think I have to bight the bullet and put a 25mm 'something' on the front of the chimney breast to get the required depth

Annoyingly, from reading the other posts, I have discovered that even gypsum fireboard is not sufficient as it is just designed to withstand '1 of' high temperatures, not continual heat. All the other brands that were mentioned (Superlux, masterboard and fermacell) appear to all be same.

I have only managed to find advice relating to using a heat resistant render and then skim, which I cannot do myself.

So unless anyone has any other possible ideas I think I'm gonna phone plasterer tomorrow to get a quote.

Thanks again for your input

Infact change of plan I'm going to attempt rendering it myself.

Going to screw strips of mdf to both sides of the breast so they petrude 22mm then render up to these. That way it I can't get it wrong as I can rest a level on the two strips of wood and run it up the chimney breast to scrape of any excess.

I can then get someone in just to do the final skim.

Any points/suggestions I should remember when doing this?

Not sure mdf is the best material for that, It might soak up moisture and deteriorate.
I'd use proper timber strips.
I think you mentioned a sand/lime/cement render.
Don't use a gypsum based product. (plaster)
Coat/spray the bare surface with a PVA/water mix prior to rendering.

Best asking for specific tips in the Rendering/Plastering forum.

I'd still check with the supplier for advice, nothing lost.
If you could/were going to shave 25mm off the back, I'd use a grinder with a diamond blade and cut numerous 25mm deep cuts, then chip the bits off with a chisel.

Thank u for the advice redHerring2. That would actually work very well setting the depth on a grinder but looking at the brickwork from outside it already looks tired and there is a crack just above this so I'm not gonna chance it.

Thanks you for your help on this one, im currently in plastering forum learning rendering techniques

Why not use granite or marble slips? These create a frame border around the fire and can be 2 x 20mm or 1 x30mm

Depending on what it's like on the outside - appearance etc., you could build a tiny 'extension' to accommodate the back of the fire and allow some air-space.

Thanks ExpertGasman for the idea. This thread is actually couple weeks old and I am half way through rendering the chimney breast to pack out the 25mm.

There r some pics in another thread I posted to get some plastering advice

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=287065&start=0

I think the slip r a really good idea, though I'm not sure would go with the black steel surround I chose. The wood burner did actually come with a variety of surrounds. I ordered the 'black brushed steel' surround which doesn't stick out. Annoyingly if I had ordered one of the stone surrounds I would not have had this problem as they are similar size to the slips.

I think the slip r a really good idea, though I'm not sure would go with the black steel surround I chose. The wood burner did actually come with a variety of surrounds. I ordered the 'black brushed steel' surround which doesn't stick out. Annoyingly if I had ordered one of the stone surrounds I would not have had this problem as they are similar size to the slips.[/quote]

Fair enough, RH, but for any ones elses info, they are typically made from Black granite.

Depending on what it's like on the outside - appearance etc., you could build a tiny 'extension' to accommodate the back of the fire and allow some air-space.

It's a really narrow shared alleyway so a no go unfortunately

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back