Desirability of Solar PV panels installation

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This thread has been hijacked, so I have edited the title and text of my first post.

You can discuss here the desirability of (1) Solar Panels and (2) the UK Govt Feed-In Tariff scheme.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get a 3.68kW system for 10-12k. Is it a problem with roof space? You don't save much with a smaller system than the maximum size. Try asking at http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/ for more detailed answers from people with experience.

I do know a couple of people who have this done and it did cost in the region of 12k one was higher but i think he has 6 panels so about 2.4 kw.

It doesnt suprise me that they are getting cheaper, Persimon homes for one are building them into their new houses and if you have 10k sitting in a bank and you dont need it, then its a better return than interest.....at the moment. So demand volumes are going up, this will bring price down.

The one chap who had it done has had it over a year and he is very very happy with his investment.

Before anybody asks no i dont sell/install or have PV :)

I only have room in my south-facing side for 2.2kW P of panels.

Sponsored Links
Using the calculator suggests I should get about £1k per year back, which is more that I expected.
And it's more than you should take. Anybody who takes the blood-money of FIT payments is morally bankrupt.

You are taking money from people less well off than you in order to fund a stupid, pointless hobby.

You should be utterly ashamed.

Clearly though you are not. Is that because you don't care that you are thinking of profiting at the expense of peoples lives (and no, that is not an exaggeration), or because you've simply not thought about it?

This thread is just about prices, if you want to talk about usage or desirability of PV, please start another thread.
NFC.

This is the thread where you brought the topic up, so this is the thread where you deal with the criticism.

You say you've only got room for 2.2KW - what size panels are being quoted (output per panel and physical size)? Depending on who's quoting what and their mark-up, I'd say any price from about £6k upwards.

PJ

if you have 10k sitting in a bank and you dont need it, then its a better return than interest
It isn't, because in a bank, you still have the initial £10k.

I agree partially and thats why i said if you dont need it. But if, and i do say if you get a 1k per year clear return and i think its tax free ? over the 20year period you stll get a slightly better return, if interest rates stay below 3%. I accept that is unlikely.

No axe to grind either way, i havent got 10k and i havent got PV.

if you have 10k sitting in a bank and you dont need it, then its a better return than interest
It isn't, because in a bank, you still have the initial £10k.

I agree partially and thats why i said if you dont need it. But if, and i do say if you get a 1k per year clear return and i think its tax free ? over the 20year period you stll get a slightly better return, if interest rates stay below 3%. I accept that is unlikely.

No axe to grind either way, i havent got 10k and i havent got PV.

Until FIT is reviewed (I understand that a reivew is coming later this year) by the GOv't has it was in germany and that is why they are dumping thier panels on our market now. The prices will then come down a lot here. Bad news if you have already been suckered into an expensive install.
The price ius superficially high due to a distortion of market forces, which power companies are given permission to rip off their poorest customers in order to fulfil a stupid government target, surely good sense will win through and proper market prices will prevail.

John D
sorry i am unable to help on this but,

where does this BAn shed guy get off? what right does he have to be so offensive in his response? The Mods should remove him or least encourage him to say what he wants to say without the rudeness and offence he causes!
I am all for alternative views and the energy one is always a very lively debate but the quote;

'And it's more than you should take, you morally bankrupt ***t.

You are taking money from people less well off than you in order to fund a stupid, pointless hobby'.

Seems to me he needs to grow up and enter the real world of adults, where we are all trying to move forward in the best possible way.

Strange as it may seem, B-A-S was once quite a respected poster on these forums, however for the last year or so (probably even longer) has become prone to abusive out bursts towards things he disagrees with, and has long gone past the stage of being the sharp tongue who says what others won't into being the loudmouth who everyone is fed up of.

You can deny it all you want Mike, but I'm not the only one who has noticed and gets rather tired of it (and I don't just mean holmslaw)

A.

I reported his excessively abusive post. Usually that would result in removal of said post. For some reason the moderators have silently removed the obscenities but left the bulk of the post. Apparently BAS gets special treatment. Personally I don't think he deserves it.

Using the calculator suggests I should get about £1k per year back, which is more that I expected.
And it's more than you should take,

You are taking money from people less well off than you in order to fund a stupid, pointless hobby.

You should be utterly ashamed -

This thread is just about prices, if you want to talk about usage or desirability of PV, please start another thread.
NFC.

This is the thread where you brought the topic up, so this is the thread where you deal with the criticism.

It may be abusive, but it does represent what the scheme does.

It robs the poor to pay the rich. Happy with that???

On the other hand, you can say that that it subsidises an emerging technology which isn't yet quite financally viable, in order to prompt further devopment which will lead to further increases in efficiency and reductions in cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back