Upstairs/downstairs Lighting switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! I will try and explain as best as I can! I currently have the upstairs and downstairs lights wired so that from downstairs you can turn either the upstairs or downstairs lights on/off, and vice verse, when upstairs you can turn either the up or down stairs lights on/off!

The problem is that is you turn the upstairs lights on down stairs, you can't turn them off upstairs! and vice verse. So you have to turn on the upstairs lights,go up, switch that light on, go down stairs turn that off, and only then when you go upstairs can you turn it off again!

I have double gang 2 way switches, with a live feed upstairs and downstairs, with a three core cable running between! Is there a way of wiring this up so that you can cut supply with either switch upstairs or down?

I can give more info if required, but I have had nothing but problems as the house was apparently wired up with some strange quirks shall I say, and this has been a long process to get it to a resonable standard! Thank you in advance for any help given!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I haven't done all the work myself, just bits and pieces. But when I had the loft converted my electrician was pulling his hair out and suggested just having it all ripped out and rewired, unfortunately my budget does not stretch that far! So no need to worry! thanks for the concern! have a wonderful day! :)

Hey! I will try and explain as best as I can! I currently have the upstairs and downstairs lights wired so that from downstairs you can turn either the upstairs or downstairs lights on/off, and vice verse, when upstairs you can turn either the up or down stairs lights on/off!
Well actually you don't have this system according to your next paragraph.

The problem is that is you turn the upstairs lights on down stairs, you can't turn them off upstairs! and vice verse. So you have to turn on the upstairs lights,go up, switch that light on, go down stairs turn that off, and only then when you go upstairs can you turn it off again!

Has this just started to happen or has it always been like this?
Have you made any changes to the upstairs/downstairs circuit?

You might want to start by understanding how the lighting circuit you describe in paragraph one works. See Wiki

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

Scroll down to the diagram below Earths ommitted for clarify.

I have two switches down and 2 switches upstairs! each of these has it's own live feed. Downstairs has two switches, one switch for the downstairs and one switch for up, and vice verse, there is two switches up stairs one for up and one for down! I must apologise if I have not stated clearly enough!

I have two switches down and 2 switches upstairs! each of these has it's own live feed. Downstairs has two switches, one switch for the downstairs and one switch for up, and vice verse, there is two switches up stairs one for up and one for down! I must apologise if I have not stated clearly enough!
In which case you follow the diagram put up by EFLImpudence for each gang upstairs and downstairs - just replace the terminal strip with a ceiling rose if appropriate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back