Alarm repair help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A friend has recently had a door replaced, and the fitters managed to trash the surface mount door contact.

From the photos I have been sent, it would appear to be a supervised loop rather than double pole wiring - and before I head off 60 odd miles to (hopefully) fix, i thought I'd try and ascertain whether anyone can confirm the circuit type, and possible resistor values.

From the photograph I have been sent, i am assuming that the three legged component is some kind of bespoke twin resistor - certainly looking at the wiring configuration, it looks very much like a FSL

The panel is a CastleCareTech SmartId.... i can't get hold of an installation manual online so am unable to tell whether this IS FSL or EOL type wiring without heading over.

I realise that i can probably work it out once there, but as I mentioned, I would like to have all possible components with me so that I can fix in a single visit. (Doing this for beer tokens rather than cash!)

NB The text in the photo was added by my friend, not me!

Sponsored Links
A bit more digging has established that it is using SmartID technology, and it looks like the component will need to be replaced with a like-for-like SmartID biscuit.

Off to google then.....

The chips (or biscuits) are fairly robust, the panel will be showing fault due to the missing addressed chip, it might need nothing more than connecting the one removed back on the data detection line (Blue/Yellow convention)

The chips are numbered for addresing purposes, to save a small ammount of effort in programming, try and get the same number if the original chip is u/s.

Just noticed the switch wire leg has snapped off, that complicates things unless your a good solderer.

You will need a new ID Biscuit you will never solder it back together.
Get the number on the other side of it to save programming issues.
If your really lucky there might be some spares in the panel. I always left a couple in there.

Sponsored Links
Like hens teeth getting the old white original iD biscuits. You'll be very lucky if you find any on t'internet

I was told you could mix and match on panels that were designed for iD+, but the panels that were designed for old iD wouldn't take the iD+. So basically:

Old panels = old chips
New panels = old and new chips mixed

Ofc old chips shouldn't be installed to new standards etc.

Well your wrong on that Jibb straight away, Castle is backwards compatible.

Ta Red, did the Castle "exams" in 1996 or so, why a bit rusty :p

Your not supposed to mix really however, we have lots of iD still out there. ADE stuff like Karizmas and Ultimates, seem ok with a mix.

Menvier stuff we have, if its iD plus marked, (iD nodes and 690 iD's) they will also take a mix. If its earlier non plus marked Menviers, they wont read the plus biscuits.

Iirc you shouldn't mix them as they run at different speeds, but as said we have sites with a mixture, and they perform ok. If we have any issues with a 690 iD, we'll try and rewire site, maybe try a G2 with wireless, or if not fit a Prem with iD exp and change all existing biscuits for iD plus.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my description, you've just repaeted what I meant and explained in a better fashion.

Old panels (original iD) = old chips
New panels (iD+ marked) = old and new chips mixed

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back