Has anyone fixed an alarm to garden sheds before

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to improve the security of my garden shed and am looking to fit an alarm has anyone done this before. I keep expensive gear in there which is why i need the security??????

Sponsored Links
Yes.
Many types can be used. Generally with Dual tech detectors or contacts.
Is there power in the shed?
Is it close to the house/garage, as you could incoporate the existing system ( if you have one).

More information needed.

Which will not activate if the hasp is removed.
If a window is broken/opened.

First of all get a van vault or similar to put the goods in if you can.

Sponsored Links
Get better locks, stronger fixings and more secure walls before considering the alarm.

Modern sheds are made of splinters that can be pulled apart easily, bypassing any alarms.

As has been said - look at securing the shed better before (or as well as) fitting an alarm.

If the "expensive stuff" is easily liftable, a scroat could break in during the night, set off the alarm, and still be away on his toes with your gear before you have unlocked your back door with a six-cell maglite in your hands.....

Depending on what kind of shed.... you could put timber facing on the inside (effectively making the walls double skinned) You could strengthen the door with more timber, and fit (decent heavy duty) hinges with either security bolts, or better still with bolts that are welded to the hinges (so that the only way they can be removed is by removing the securing nut on the inside, and pulling the bolt thread through)

Fit more than one lock (hasp/staple top and bottom rather than just one in the middle) and use hasps/staples/padlocks that can be securely fitted and don't expost themselves to simple attacks

If whatever you are keeping in there is valuable, then it is worth investing in securing it properly.

Which will not activate if the hasp is removed.
If a window is broken/opened.

First of all get a van vault or similar to put the goods in if you can.

the first thing most people will do is to try the padlock

not if the padlock is open in the same way a burglar will check doors and windows for easy access in a house or car

This is running in circles.

I do this for a living, you just carry on.

PS, I have never sold an "alarmed" padlock in either of the shops I ran and was never asked for one. In 30 years never asked for by GP nor supplied one.

I recall a shed with bolts, padlocks and other anti theft devices to protect the contents ( home brew beer and wine ) from thieves.

The theft was made by levering up one side of the shed and then tipping the whole shed still securely locked enough for a small person to crawl through the gap under the wall.

This is running in circles.

I do this for a living, you just carry on.

PS, I have never sold an "alarmed" padlock in either of the shops I ran and was never asked for one. In 30 years never asked for by GP nor supplied one.

Agreed...bit silly really!

So back to the op's Q about alarming his shed.
See no problem with this, with the right kit as has been said, DT for example, handy for pesky bugs, careful with the microwave tho.
Mines a castle euro G2 with contact, DT, internal sounder and a strobe on the outside.
At my old place i had the shed connected to my house, old gal 18, shed was set to autoset

well thanks chaps my comments are meant to be helpful
dismissing my thoughts is not particularly helpful
i do off course respect your input as proffesionals
i do think i have a valid point which you dismiss as irellivent
can you please explain why you think the natural reaction would not be to instantly try the easiest way off entry ??

whilst i fully except a full alarm system will be best hands down
people breaking in don't like noise or anything that will draw attention to them

i actually dont know the first thing about alarmed padlocks so don't know how they work but as a first line off defense whilst whilst sorting out the full alarm system can only be a good thing :D

First of all, we were not trying to undermine your suggestion.

Now to the padlock, on first attack it will bleep and then go quiet.
Instantly telling the thief it is alarmed. On the next "event" it will screech for a few seconds then rearm.
The difference with an intruder alarm is it will activate instantly, even if only starting the entry timer if entry is gained via the entry exit route. Which is why I like to have a shed/Garage on the house system with possibly auto setting. Thus no entry route and instant bells.

Its just an item nobody ever took seriously. As I have said in 30 yrs or so I have never sold one or been asked for one. Same as we (most on here) will not sell certain alarm systems. No doubt there is a place somewhere for it. Just not on a shed.

I always advise any tools are locked away or chained up. Otherwise you are suplying a house breaker the tools he can only dream of "going equiped " with. Ladders are another thing people think left on hooks at the back is a safe place!

I hope that explains my and a few others stance on your suggestion, its just a gimmick. Although its good to see contributers from other forums here.

Regards

Alarm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back