water hammer at kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past few months, I get water hammer when I turn the kitchen cold tap off suddenly. I've never had that in the previous ten years. The solution is to turn the tap on again and then off more slowly.

The only thing that is different with my plumbing since all this started is that I had new bathroom plumbing installed upstairs (bath, sink and lavatory). As far as I remember, the installers never needed to turn off the mains water supply as they isolated the circuits using the cold and hot tank valves.

So what could they have done which brought about this new water hammer problem?

Sponsored Links
Is it a continuos series of bangs? Could be worn/damaged ball valve in cold storage tank in loft.

Try isolating supply to loft tank if you can, then try kitchen tap to see if it has helped. If yes - new ball valve.

Check the main stoptap is fully open, also I've had this before & it was down to the outside tap being left open with the hose attached

You guys are right. I tied up the ball valve and the problem went away.

But I only replaced that ball valve a year ago. (The old one was allowing a continual drip so that the cold tank overflowed through the overflow pipe down the roof.) What is it doing wrong? Does it need one of those oscillation dampers? Yes I know the ball valve costs peanuts and I can easily put a new one on but how could the present one have worn out?

Sponsored Links
Further news.

The "new" upstairs toilet failed a few days ago (the dual flush kept flushing) so while I wait for the installer to fix it (hopefully!), I've turned off the water valve to the cistern. The water hammer problem at the mains kitchen tap has now gone away completely! So it was this cistern, not the cold tank ball valve which is at fault.

Why should the toilet cistern cause the problem? I presume it's connected to the cold tank pipe, not the mains supply pipe (it's impossible to see because the large diameter waste pipe completely obscures vision beyond it in the wall space) so the cistern is only indirectly connected to the mains water.... Has anybody got any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back