Boiler firin up for one minute then goes off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first of all I have no clue about plumbing, boilers or anything like that so I apologise in advance if I explain this badly or you need more info.

I am in a privately rented property which has a Baxi boiler (I think it said Baxi Solo on the front if that makes sens eto anyone). It has a timer by the side with a heating advance button and a hot water advance button on; does that make it a combi boiler? I don't know :oops:

Anyway - since I moved in 8 months ago the boiler has stopped working at least 6 times; every time the same thing happens - it's fine, then it starts firing up overnight and the radiators come on - even though the timer is set to the off position and the lights on the timer are off, this goes on for a night or two and then it starts coming on when I switch it on - as it should do - the pilot (?) light (little blue flame behind a window on the boiler) comes on, it fires up, works ok for 30-60 seconds and then it starts banging and I can hear water moving about, like water enterin the system - or leaving - before the boiler goes off and all the green lights on the front switch off. Sometimes the yellow overheat light comes on too and it refuses to fire up.

My landlord owns a building company and refuses to get someone in to fix it properly, instead he has himself replaced the thermostat and two other parts inside; I think he said valves but not sure what type.

The last time it broke before this one was just 6 weeks ago and it's never gone longer than that.

I have two young children and a newborn so need hot water for baths and washing the baby's bottles so what do I do now - is this a problem that can be remedied myself (well, by my father who is quite a handyman, not officially qualified in anything though) or should I get a plumber in - and how much would it cost roughly to fix?

Any advise appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
If its a Rented property the Landlord should be responsible for Servicing and Repair of the Heating you should have a Valid Gas Safety Certificate in your pocession, if not the landlord is breaking the law!! :eek:

The fault with your system is likely to be a faulty aux switch in the motorised valve actuator from the description given! - Call your Landlord or Agent for a repair! ;)

Could be a failed pump or the heating system low on water. It is your landlord's duty and responsibility to sort this out. He needs to call a man in if he's not man enough himself.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't stay in a property where the landlord can't get the boiler working.
Move out now and save yourself hassle in the long run.
Pick somewhere next time with a nice modern central heating system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back