Phone socket (moving / adding) issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am after a bit advice.

Basically my house has one master BT phone socket in the dining room. I dont have a phone anymore (the socket is working) and my broadband is with Virgin, so I dont use it.

I do have sky in the living room but never connected it to the phone line after installation. Now, ideally, I would like sky multi room upstairs (directly above the dining room).

There are no other BT phone sockets in my house. The TV downstairs is the direct opposite side of my house where we have laminate flooring, beautiful skirting etc which I do not want to touch. So I have no real hope of running extra wires.

I know nothing about electrics. Would BT be able to provide this service at a cost so that there are live sockets in a positions of my choice, in my living room and bedroom without pulling up floor boards / having cables sent around walls etc?

I'm thinking not :(

Sponsored Links
Your in luck.
BT will not drill but will lash new cables around the house on skirtings and up door frames :D

No chance of taking the cable outside, and into the rooms needed?

If you have a modern 2-part faceplate:
images

...then it's a simple job for a local electrician, (or anyone competent with phone extensions) if you don't want to DIY it.

I don't know if BT would provide this service, but if they did they would charge you a fortune.

When you say you don't use the phone anymore, do you mean you no longer pay line rental to anyone? Or do you still pay it and would have the facility to make calls if you plugged in a phone?

If you don't pay line rental, you will need to get a line connected before you can have Sky multiroom.

Sky will normally run an extension to the box upstairs I believe, they'd normally take the cable outside with the Satellite feed, run it round the outside of the house, and take it back in with the Satellite feed to the other box upstairs.

You can get BT to install you an extension socket, but as echoes said, it will cost you a small fortune. £105+VAT for the callout, and £55+VAT per additional hour if it takes them longer than one hour. If you have a modern socket then you would get an electrician to do it a lot cheaper :)

Sponsored Links
You can get BT to install you an extension socket, but as echoes said, it will cost you a small fortune. £105+VAT for the callout, and £55+VAT per additional hour if it takes them longer than one hour. If you have a modern socket then you would get an electrician to do it a lot cheaper :)

That's only for unplanned callouts. Extension socket is a fixed price of £110 (probably plus vat)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back