Powering a bilge pump from mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm wondering if somebody can give me some advice.

I keep my cellar dry after heavy rain with a 12v 6 amp bilge pump run from a car battery.

I've gone through quite a few batteries in the last couple of years and would like to run it from mains.

I thought it would be straightforward to find a transformer to hook the pump up to, but I can't seem to find the right product.

In particular I need something that I can safely attach the red /black +/- pump wires into.

Has anyone done this and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One of the problems in selecting a power supply for motors is the start current likely needs to be in excess of 6 amp. However it does not need to be smooth or too exact as to voltage as a battery will be anywhere between 11.5v discharged and 14.8v being charged from a step charger.

To buy a transformer and rectifier with a capacitor will likely be expensive and the more normal is to find something designed for another use and utilize it.

My first thoughts would be a standard battery charger. Although the DC is not smoothed and the other is a Lap Top power supply.

The power supplies are made for caravans to replace batteries and likely they are the best option although not cheap. Some are around the £300 mark the same with narrow boats. Back in days when I lived in one an 8A one was around £80 and that was 15 years ago.

The car battery is not designed for deep cycle so will fail when used that way but if a regulated battery charger was used as well then it's live would be very much increased. Again price can vary hugely with a CB power supply likely cheapest at around £25 and a boat stepped unit can easy cost £400. I would think something like this from Halfords is a good compromise.

But I would pay a visit to a caravan shop first you may find what you are looking for.

If you're getting so much "damp" in the cellar that you can pump it out then maybe you should be posting on the Building forum for ideas of how to tackle the cause, not the effect.

Sponsored Links
How about exchanging your 12 Volt pump for a mains powered one like :-
35660.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions everybody.

Eric I'll check out your idea.

Well, I know the cause of the water: my neighbours got in some cowboy builders a few years ago who tipped and washed cement down the drains. They then moved. I don't have the beans to fix it permanently atm.

Tickly my Dad bought a good German pump like that a while back. Maddeningly, it's about 2cm too wide for the cellar drain that fills up.

Does anyone know if this would be appropriate for the job:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-12V-..._Lighting_SM&hash=item587f296f95#ht_846wt_906

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I also think it will work out cheaper in the long term to fit a 240v submersible pump. Could you dig around the drain and build a small manhole or just sleeve it with an oversize pipe mounted vertically to house the pump. 240 pumps give years of trouble free service.

The toroidal transformer you linked to will probably have a 12 Volt AC output. That's fine for lighting, as most conventional lamps don't care much whether they are fed AC or DC.

Not much use for a 12 Volt DC pump though.

Adding a substantial bridge rectifier to the output may do the job, but it would need to be up to supplying the startup current, then the running current without overheating.

Well, I know the cause of the water: my neighbours got in some cowboy builders a few years ago who tipped and washed cement down the drains. They then moved. I don't have the beans to fix it permanently atm.
Your compliant is with your neighbours, and the remedy is to get them to pay.

If they can't find their builders any more that is their problem, not yours.

I took it to mean the neighbours had moved...

I took it to mean the neighbours had moved...

They went through a messy divorce and cleared off to different parts of the world. I could probably get the drains gold-plated for the cost of hunting them down and suing them /:(

Would a survey show that the drains for the next-door property are the cause?

If so go after the current owners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back