Combi boiler recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a combi boiler fitted to replace my existing tanked indirect back boiler system. No tanks, instant heat, decent pressure --- it's got to be good.

Does anyone have any advice over a good make of boiler? The plumber has recommended a 30kW Worcestor, at (IIRC) about 800 or 900 UKP; expensive, but apparently good. 30kW is large but should give me decent flow rates and is not a lot more expensive than a 25kW one. However, I've seen similar boilers in B&Q for around 500...

One slightly odd requirement is that a few years down the line I intend to get a solar preheat system. This would involve routing the mains water through a thermal store in the attic to raise the temperature, before feeding it through the boiler. I gather that some boilers have problems dealing with warm water. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I would fit a Ravenheat combi (CSI) HE 85 ET from B&Q for now cos its cheap and then cross the other bridge when you get to it but I am the probably the only fan of Ravenheats on here so see what the others have to say
Seems pointless lashing out lots of cash on something you would ending up taking out in a few years time. Horses for courses and all that.
If you want to spend money then consider doing the solar thing now

the potterton performa 28he would be my recomendation as i know this can go in conjunction with a solar system as i have seen it many times before :LOL:

The biasi garda is not much more expensive that Ravers but has better reputation. It is also available from B + Q.

Having said that I have fitted a few Ravers in past and had to change the following parts - 2 x thermocoupl 1 x 3 port diverter valves and 1 x 50 Ohm Resistor and a few blown fuses on the pcb

Sponsored Links
The latest Ravers do not have thermocouples or 50 ohm resistors so those failure points have been eliminated.

I do say that I would prefer the Garda because the condensing bit is stainless steel whereas the ravers is ali alloy on the models sold in B&Q.

Both sell for about £540 inc vat and flue.

Tony

It sounds like they're all much the same, as far as I can tell... I shall go and browse in B&Q and do some more reading up. Thanks, all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back