Infared Illuminator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a CCTV Camera outside my property.This works fine during the day,But at night you cant see a thing.
I was thinking if i screwed an infared illuminator underneath it would this allow me to see in the dark.
Also i would only like the illuminator to be activated when people walk past does that mean i would have to wire it to a motion sensor or can you buy them with motion sensors built in??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You could always fit a PIR flood light near the camera, light comes on when anyone comes near and camera works fine.

Andy

And the camera might "Flare out" for a second or two with the sudden change.

Sponsored Links
And the camera might "Flare out" for a second or two with the sudden change.
Will also happen if the IR illumination is switched on only when motion is detected. The flare out can last long enough to lose all images of the intruder.

Illuminating from the same location as the camera removes a lot of detail from the image. No shadows on the face as seen by the camera. Place the illumination source several feet sideways away from and if possible above the camera.

Also ensure the camera will focus properly on both IR illuminated and visible light / day light. IR and daylight have different wavelengths and they refract differently in the lens to give different focal lengths. A camera lens focused with one illumination will be slightly out of focus with the other illumination. The effect on focus is less when the lens apperture is small.

If the camera has an automatic iris ( mechanical apperture control ) then focus with IR when the apperature is largest and daylight with smaller apperture will still ( in most cases ) be acceptably well focused.

Good quality ( and therefor expensive ) CCTV camera automically adjust their focusing to ensure clear pictures at all levels and types of illumination.

Cheers Bernard, I actually meant with both.
Teach me to be too concise :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back