DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Painting plastic gutters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilly-1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote

I want to paint our plastic gutters ( some say its best not to ) but if I do I want to use the correct paint, I think i read somewhere to use 100% Acrylic paint, is this right ? and do they need an undercoat first ?
Thanks
Lynn
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
nstreet

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote

You'll be creating a job for life, good luck icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote

when i moved in to my house twenty years ago there was a light blue paint on the guttering i hated it
a mid terrace with black plastic guttering each side yuk icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

now i am not suggesting this as a solution but it worked for me and looking at it now the colour is starting to show through but after 18years not done bad

i used black hammerite cos it was the only black paint to hand as i had bought it for the gate icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Zampa

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote

big-all wrote:
when i moved in to my house twenty years ago there was a light blue paint on the guttering i hated it
a mid terrace with black plastic guttering each side yuk icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

now i am not suggesting this as a solution but it worked for me and looking at it now the colour is starting to show through but after 18years not done bad

i used black hammerite cos it was the only black paint to hand as i had bought it for the gate icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_wink.gif

Hammerite!....you have been really lucky to have that stay on plastic...its very hard....too hard normally for something that expands and contracts as much as plastic.

Most straight forward method (and cheapest) give the pipes a clean down..then simply apply two coats of gloss in whatever colour you like..thin he gloss slightly by about 10/15%

You dont need undercoat...its to brittle and wont cope with the expansion and contraction of the plastic....gloss will it has more oil in it.
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Zampa wrote:
big-all wrote:

Hammerite!....you have been really lucky to have that stay on plastic...its very hard....too hard normally for something that expands and contracts as much as plastic.

Most straight forward method (and cheapest) give the pipes a clean down..then simply apply two coats of gloss in whatever colour you like..thin he gloss slightly by about 10/15%

You dont need undercoat...its to brittle and wont cope with the expansion and contraction of the plastic....gloss will it has more oil in it.

i am assuming its something to do with the blue paint acting like an undercoat
i was surprize as you assosiate hammerite with rust not plastic icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Tilly-1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys, two coats of gloss it is then , for the rest of my life roflmao and 2 make matters worse I'm painting them white, hmmmm
Lynn
 Alert Moderators
confidentincompetent

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote

No problem! just doing a job old black plastic gutters are being painted white, as zampa says thin the gloss you'll be suprised how easy gloss goes on plastic (as long as you get that moss etc off first icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
Tilly-1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:32 am Reply with quote

I will give them a good scrub first
Thank you
Lynn
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: