Taking a spur back to consumer unit??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a spur coming off the main ring for the upstairs which is providing the only power point in the 2nd bedroom. I am after adding more sockets but without disrupting too much of the house. I was just wondering if i could add more sockets onto that spur and then feed the last socket back down to the consumer unit as this is the easiest route(rather than feeding it back into the existing ring main) Hence this would make a kind of ring on a ring. Or a radial joining onto a ring if you like. Would it be ok to do this? Cheers

Sponsored Links
No, that would be a bridged ring,

Why not run a separate radial from a different fuseway on the cu, if thats the easiest place to thread the cable to?

You can only have one unfused spur off a ring socket so suggest you change the spur to a FCU then you can have as many sockets as you like on that radial.

not wishing to state the obvious, but why can't you extend the ring into the bedroom? safest and neatest way of doing it.

Sponsored Links
I think i probably will just pull up a few more floorboards and extend the upstairs ring now after all that. I could'nt put in a seperate radial as there are no spare slots in the CU. Unless i changed the consumer unit of course, but thats extra cash and a whole new can of worms. Cheers anyway fella's.

Figure of eight rings can cause strange current sharing between the 2 sides of the ring, and overload one of the supply cables, depending how it is done, and are not approved. Either extend the ring, or have a fused spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back