Bathroom Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new 4 spot light system in my bathroom but instead of 3 wires i have 7 after putting all the wires in the right places the light comes on but when i pull the cord to turn them off it does\\\'nt switch off.HELP any ideas

Sponsored Links
If you look at a standard ceiling rose you will see that there is an extra terminal block marked "loop". This is used to carry the unswitched live wiring from one light to the next. When wired like this, the loop wire will go to the red wire to the switch and the black wire from the switch goes to the L terminal in the rose. I normally put red tape round the switched live to show it is not neutral but most sparkies don't bother. It sounds like you have got the unswitched live going to the lights so you might have fun sorting out which wire is which. If you have a test screwdriver you can disconnect the wires and find out which wire is live. If you then try other lights in the house you will probably find some that don't work, these will be the ones that were connected to your identified live. To identify which wire goes to the bathroom light switch you ideally want a multimeter, set on resistance. With the POWER TURNED OFF you can check resistance readings for each red & black T&E cable with the switch on and off. The correct one will show approx. zero ohms when on and approx infinity ohms when off.

Did you check out the regs concerning bathroom lights? Your spotlights are probably only suitable for zone 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back