reclaimed and scrap timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm looking for scrap timber. i don't mean "proper" reclaimed stuff, just a supply of bits and pieces. The only requirements are that it's not rotten or treated with mega nasty chemicals - so looking for stuff for or from interior uses.

aside from driving round the West Midlands looking in skips, is there any place or way to find this kind of stuff?

Also, how "safe" is timber from pallets? Any creosote or other banned nasties in there?

i'm teaching myself joinery/carpentry you see - never know one day i might be able to afford proper evening classes :rolleyes:

Anna

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo anna

do you actualy mean bits of timber to make things from
or just to practise joints sawing or what ever on

if its thelatter try your timber yard for off cuts

pallets are in general poor quality wood usualy held together with ring shank nails you will pull the head off the nail throught the wood rather than pull the nails out

and arnt usualy treated as they tend to have a short life

As well as the timber-yards I would try to find a couple of local joinery businesses, they should be able to help you out.

You'll find old/new furniture wood better for joinery- marvellous to work with compared with scraps of boxwood etc. You won't enjoy working with poor wood. Pallets are rubbish!

Sponsored Links
Hi Anna,
Good place to get timber is your local household recycle centre. They often have old furniture which you can pick up dirt cheap. Dismantle it and you have a supply of ready seasoned wood for projects or practice.
Geogem :idea:

i'm looking for scrap timber. i don't mean "proper" reclaimed stuff, just a supply of bits and pieces. The only requirements are that it's not rotten or treated with mega nasty chemicals - so looking for stuff for or from interior uses.

aside from driving round the West Midlands looking in skips, is there any place or way to find this kind of stuff?

Also, how "safe" is timber from pallets? Any creosote or other banned nasties in there?

i'm teaching myself joinery/carpentry you see - never know one day i might be able to afford proper evening classes :rolleyes:

Anna

We have lots of timber you can have free. It is packing wood and there are short blocks and some longer lengths. Call in and have a look at European Handling Equipment Ltd. Providence Streert, Lye DY9 8HN. Tel 01384 423330. Thanks, Roger

Sorry terrier de renard, it looks like you've been spammed or trolled by roger vingt-trois, or whatever the appropriate expression is.
I suspect that Anna is a fully qualified cabinet maker by now.

have you tried scaffolding companies? They might have old planks ready for replacing, we got some this way for our garden. They look good and a lot easier to move than the railway sleepers we bought in the old house!

The OP Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 which was over SIX years ago and then along comes Grave Digger Roger, who exhumed the thread to spam it with his handling company name.

Sorry terrier de renard, it looks like you've been spammed or trolled by roger vingt-trois, or whatever the appropriate expression is.

Took me a while, but I get it now :p

dave said:
The OP Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 which was over SIX years ago and then along comes Grave Digger Roger, who exhumed the thread to spam it with his handling company name.

Oops! Sorry ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back