bad smells from machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
you said "What about these antisiphon/non-return devices which you can get to fit on the waste pipe from washing machine. Does anyone have any experience with these?"

what about them? what problems are you having? i personally do not like them as they (in my experiance) tend to get jambed open or partialy open

Sponsored Links
Just make sre you have an air break in the outlet system

Hi beezer,
When the machine outlet is connected to under the sink trap system, you may also have a dishwasher outlet to this setup. I found that back flow occurs causing bad smell in washing machine. My question was would fitting an antisiphon/non-return valve stop this happening?
What type of devices are available? Has anyone tried these out.

You would be better off putting in another waste pipe design for washing machine. Just 1 hole in the wall and problem over!

Sponsored Links
I agree whole heartedly with Masona on this one. A proper outlet for the washing macine not only works better it will stop any back syphoning .

we also have bad smells and also have a lot of slimy mould in and around the door seal,would the previous comments provide a solution to this? :?:

If you have smelly slimy stuff in your machine you can try a "maintainance wash" first ( a boil wash with NO laundry and a little detergent) You should have been doing this every now and then since you got the machine. If that fails and especially in a hard water area you may have to have the machine stripped down and all the gunk cleaned out of it. Then start again remembering to do the above once every month or so. Also leave the door open when the machine is not in use ( important)
I spent many years repairing white goods and BOY have I smelled some BAD ones....... Poooooooooo.

Gees, one of the tips I've been given (and tried) is to do the maintenance wash with soda crystals as this dissolves the crud that's building up inside the machine.

One guy posted that he'd been advised to use caustic soda as this was what second hand sales merchants used to clean out the machine (I'll bet it did that all right!!). Personally I wouldn't do that - it's nasty stuff at the best of times.

Any thoughts?

Ian.

Yes .. a nice big dollop of soda crystals would not go amiss.
But Caustic soda....... I think not. Just imagine the state of her indoors's smalls if it wasnt all cleaned out????

thanks for the advice.
i shall replace the mouldy door seal and begin doing maintenance washes
Thanks Again

ps is it easy to remove a door seal ?

door seals are very easy to remove, putting them back is the hard part. :LOL:

i didn't do it, but a hp mate could do it through the front, i used to take the whole front off.

some door seals are easier if you drop them in hot water first, but i never needed to with a hp door seal. 2 dots (no more) of washing up liquid helps.

never forget when i was learning, couple of times we would get a call to "fit only" the customer had got the correct door seal, but could not fit it, after 3 days on the job (not been to hp school then) it was "ere mate, can i borrow your washing up liquid?" 2 dots and door seal was on, it was good to see there face, obviously the had been trying to pull / stretch door seal into place

I'm new to this forum

may i ask you read forum rules 17 & 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back