DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

noisy boiler

This topic originated from the How to page called Problems associated with noises from the central heating system
Click here to return to the page called Problems associated with noises from the central heating system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebees

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote

hi i have a ideal classic rs40 wall boiler and its started making loud banging noises!
i have also had a heating element replaced in the central heating tank in the airing cupboard and was told that there was a lot of slug in there. They told me i should get the hole lot replaced as it could pack up at any time. great hay! the water tank is split cold on top and hot on the bottom can you tell me what the problem is or if/how it could be solved. also what sort of price would you expect to pay for all this to be replaced. kind regard steve. icon_cry.gif icon_sad.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ArtfulBodger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Boiler banging noises are normally caused by lack of water in the system or poor circulation of water in the system. Poor circulation could be due to failing pump or maybe excessive build-up of mineral deposits on the boilers heat exchanger. Without seeing or hearing the system it is difficult to say.

Dunno about the hot water cylinder though, normally you would expect it to be hot at the top, heat rising and all.
 Alert Moderators
ollski

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote

ArtfulBodger wrote:
Dunno about the hot water cylinder though, normally you would expect it to be hot at the top, heat rising and all.

Unless its a fortic icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
ArtfulBodger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote

ollski wrote:
Unless its a fortic icon_biggrin.gif

Being a coward, I run a mile from them icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Slugbabydotcom

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote

thebees wrote:

i have also had a heating element replaced in the central heating tank in the airing cupboard and was told that there was a lot of slug in there.

Not only do I get about a bit I can reach the parts that pedanticvindictiveman cant reach!! (Private Joke)

Not much information to go on there! My take on it is that you have described a fortic or similar [white wolf perhaps] cylinder with a combined storage cistern and a boiler with a knackered thermostat!

Send a picture of the tank or the name of it at least. Is there a 15mm cold water connection at the top? Does it have a loose lid?
Is the cylinder dome shaped at the top? Is there a plastic storage tank above it?
 Alert Moderators
cozzmic

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote

The sludge is probably the remains of a sacrificial anode, it goes to a jelly type mush when it's been in a few years and get drawn down into to hot (bottom) part of the combi cylinder. Artful is right but you could have a failed or failing boiler stat/cylinder stat.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: