Two way pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a two way pull switch for a bathroom light which had worn out.

I have three red wires which are otherwise unmarked:
wire A (live) was in one connection;
wire B had come out of its connection by the time I could see it, but I from its position I am pretty sure it was in the same connection as wire A
wire C was in a connection on its own.

I am pretty certain that A (and presumably B) were in L1 and wire C was alone in COM. Does this sound right? as it is possible that it was the other way around: A (and B) in COM and C in L1.

Does this suggest that C is the switched live?

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
If it is a two way switch and there are two switches controlling the bathroom light, then all conductors will need to be in individual terminals.

If the circuit is a one way system, wire it up as a one way system, but if it is a two way system, wire it up as a two way system. If it is neither then get someone else to have a look

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much for your help.

I'm not sure why it is fitted as a two way switch, as I haven't been able to find another switch in the flat which operates that light. So I think it was previously wired as a one way switch.

The diagrams are very helpful - thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Is it usual to use the same colour for each wire?

Thanks again

cautious said:
Is it usual to use the same colour for each wire?
No, but it is the "most correct" approach. A switch cable does not contain a live and a neutral, it has 2 lives (one permanent, one switched), and if you use red/black cable rather than red/red then you should put red sleeving over the black core, at each end, to signify that it is live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back