Wiring for Cooker, Hob and Extract

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refitting a kitchen and some advice re: the electrics for the cooker etc would be much appreciated.

The current wiring has a junction box connected to a main cable and from this box two spurs, one a double socket and the other a single. Of which the single was used for the ignition on a gas cooker

The new cooker is electric with a separate hob and also extract. My plan was to use a junction box to supply a spur for the extract via a fused switch, a cooker switch with a single plug socket included, and a feed for the hob. Does all this pose a potential problem in terms of load on this cable or junction box? Is there anything else I should be taking in to consideration?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time out to reply

Sponsored Links
assuming your cooker cable is 6mm ? yes it is a problem, since if you put a spur you should use 6mm cable to supply the spur, this is because if you use 2.5 from your junction box should anything go wrong the 2.5 mm cable will quite literally burn out before the fuse / mcb even thinks of tripping

the cooker should be on its own cct / mcb and the extractor should be on its own cct/mcb, although it would be acceptable to put a spur of your normal ring for the extractor.

When we had our kitchen fitted I put a ring in just for the kitchen and the extractor plugs into a socket on this

Thanks for your reply Breezer. I still haven't done this job! I've got the appliances now so I have more information;

The cooker cable in the wall is 10mm and runs back to a 45a breaker at the consumer unit.

The Cooker draws 3370w
The Hob 6000w
and not sure about the extract (says 0.6 - 6kw on the label, but 6kw seemed a lot for a fan and couple of bulbs?)

Anyway with all this added to the 13a socket on the cooker switch does this come in under the 45a breaker?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to agree with you about the cooker hood, but it should be on its own plug /socket and not wired in with the main cooker under no cicumstances

evrything else appears o.k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back