NEFF oven intermittently tripping circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My circuit breaker (RCCB 30mA) has recently started tripping intermittently. By observing what was on at the time I think I've tracked it down to my NEFF 1051 oven. I'm fairly sure the problem isn't a straight forward short because that would also take out the oven circuit. I've had the back off the oven but can't see any loose connections. Typically the oven will be on for 10-15 mins then trip the CB that covers all the mains. My only suspect is the thermostat clicking on/off and sparking, but it doesn't do this every time.

If anyone has any suggestions of tests I could make to isolate the problem I would be most grateful.

Also, I'm not sure if I need an electrician to investigate the ELCB tripping or a service engineer for the oven - either way I'm worried about a big bill because of the intermittent nature?

Sponsored Links
Move the cooker circuit to the non RCD side of the board. Cookers can produce high leakage currents, thus taking out the RCCB.

Sponsored Links
DIYsimon said:
Thanks PDCELEC. Please can you advise how to do this?
normally a case of move the breaker, but as pdc says, post a pic so we can give you better (and more accurate) instructions.

Photo is at
IMG_0635.jpg

The oven circuit is the forst to the right of the trip switch. I assume I kill the power with the main switch (there is no other switch upstream) relocate the trip to the oven switch to the left and relocate the neutral? Thanks.

your right, move it to the left hand side and take the neutral to the non-rcd neutral bar and thats the problem solved

thats more like the size of picture i like!!!!! a bit too big though!! theres no pleasing some people is there?!

take out the cooker MCB, move it to the left of the RCCB and move the cooker neutral to the neutral bar at the left too. bobs your uncle. Thankfully you have plenty of spare capacity to be able to do this.

Thanks very much for your help, I'll tackle tomorrow! Just for closure - any ideas as to the source of the leakage from the oven? I'm trying to understand why this problem would have started occuring after a long time? Cheers.

fault is most likely dampness on the heating elements. this can happen with normal use and it makes it look like a fault to an RCD

The Oven MCB Breaker must be next to the Main Switch, so slide the two lighting MCB Breakers along to the right, to make way for the Cooker breaker alongside the Main Switch.

In case anyone else thinks of this, this method cannot work safely, if the cooker controller panel also has a socket on it "which can reasonably be expected to supply equipment out of doors". i.e. if the kitchen is downstairs!

kai said:
The Oven MCB Breaker must be next to the Main Switch, so slide the two lighting MCB Breakers along to the right, to make way for the Cooker breaker alongside the Main Switch.

In case anyone else thinks of this, this method cannot work safely, if the cooker controller panel also has a socket on it "which can reasonably be expected to supply equipment out of doors". i.e. if the kitchen is downstairs!
good point, altho depending on the location, there is probably a socket closer to the door. other wise its a case of youll have to change the switch for a 1 w/o the socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back