What is plumbers hemp made from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this may sound a silly question going by what it smells like but can someone confirm what it actually is?

I've searched google and this forum but cannot find an answer.

I did find that its still quite comman in the US though?

:oops:

Sponsored Links
So hemp is a plant? why does plumbers hemp smell like a horse then?

Silly questions I know but google didn't want to tell me! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Come on, this is a diy forum after all. I'm sure dafter questions have been asked.

Cheers anyway... :(

ripped off t'internet:

Hemp Hemp is a natural fibre made out of the hessian plant. It is pleated and looks like threads of hairy wool. It is used by plumbers on all threads that need to be water tight. Being a natural fibre it is excellent in acting as a sealer against water leaks. Now a days there are all kinds of sealers available that does the same work. eg. PTFE tape. The use of hemp is still very popular because it is both effective and cost effective. Take a look at what hemp looks like, and how it is applied on a thread. Back

[quote="lcgs";p="2164751"]Can't use hemp on gas anymore.[/quote]
Or potable water

lcgs";p="2164751 said:
Can't use hemp on gas anymore.[/quote

Can use hemp/must use hemp on longscrew fitting with backnut. It's the only exception. And yes, hemp is made of hemp.

Back in the days when... one of my long-gone, old-school mentors always used to call it "Rapunzel", and delighted in telling curious children that it really was the eponymous fairy-tale princess's hair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back