Gas wall heater with no flue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was working in a flat today, and I noticed in the hallway is a small gas wall heater (I think valor?) which has no flue. It is fitted on an internal wall, and on closer inspection the heater seems to have no povision for a flue. Is such a thing safe, or legal. Heater I would guess is late 60's or early 70's vintage (Like everything else in this dump!) I recommended the tenants don't use it.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
there were 1000's of them fitted before we had central heating, they are flueless wall heaters, are they legal? yes if fitted properly , are they safe technically yes again if fitted, maintained and working properly, would i have one in my own house? NO they were fine at the time they were fitted but there are much safer options now

Thanks - I'd never seen one before. The same flat has a couple of balanced flue wallheaters as well, but the flueless one just seems all wrong. I wouldn't want one in my house either. Do they just chuck all the POCs out into the room then?

Paul

I think they were called Main Rimini's.They are basically an iron tube with holes drilled, and designed, or at least comonly used, for hallways. They need an air vent, and current standards would be 100 sq cm. They were available in the early 70's, but I haven't seen on for decades.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I must have forgotten them - I'm old enough to remember when it seemed like everyone had Ascot multipoints and Gayglow gas fires, but I don't remember these!

Had about a thousand on contract , Yep the POC straight into room but back when these where fitted it was still common to heat the house by leaving the oven on or using a calor super ser .So it ws not looked on as unusual or dangerous.

Expert the main was the Ripon ,rimmini was the balanced flue one with a fan on it very similar to a warmplan.
The name of valor one evades me just now and will prob pop into head at 3 in morning :LOL:

Gasman - thats the one. It's got a little frosted glass strip in the front so you can see the flames.

Paul

Expert the main was the Ripon ,rimmini was the balanced flue one with a fan on it very similar to a warmplan.
The name of valor one evades me just now and will prob pop into head at 3 in morning :LOL:[/quote]

Yes, you are right. I came back to correct that, but I had forgotten where the Rimini name was from, untill I read your post..! Well remembered, mate. :)

They were commonly fitted in the same homes.

Rimini's. They need an air vent, and current standards would be 100 sq cm.

Not so sure about that? its been years but I believe the ventilation required was based on room or heated space volume and heat input of the heater??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back