Blocked Drain - I'm Going In...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bath was running slower and there was a bad smell from the drain outside the kitchen window. I try the old caustic which worked last time but notice now there's standing water in the drain... hmmm Figure if I could just lift up the grate and get stuck in I might not need to call DynoRodders straight away - but the f*ckers cemented in!

Who in their right mind would cement down a grate - is it common? Am I going about this the right way, i.e. smash it to pieces and if it still doesn't clear only then call the Rod Master?

Cheers!

:p

Sponsored Links
To paraphrase the Kia advert.."think about it"....would you rather pay £60.00 per half hour to Dynomeister, or break the grid and plunge the drain with an old mop :) Then buy a new plastic grid for a quid. GO for IT. You got Drains in your part of Sussex..we still got Privvies :eek:

Look out drain - I'm BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!

For that money I'd even consider renting my own set of rods... will see how it goes and update here should the drain scum fight back....

bpowell555 said:
Look out drain - I'm BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!

For that money I'd even consider renting my own set of rods... will see how it goes and update here should the drain scum fight back....

buy a set for less than that

Sponsored Links
When I say its cemented in - having had a look again it could be the top of the soil pipe thats covered the grate, or the grate has rusted in. I do I check this baby?

Also there is a manhole to the side although it is going away from the road, it is between the bathroom (downstairs extension) and the drain - what should I expect to find there??!

Don't really want to put a crack in the soil pipe......

:rolleyes:

bpowell555 said:
When I say its cemented in -, or the grate has rusted in. LIKELY.... a manhole to the side although it is going away from the road, it is between the bathroom ..............and the drain - what should I expect to find there??!..............Richard 111 and the whole cast of Hamlet :eek: :LOL: Or If it`s a bigun ...HenryV111

Don't really want to put a crack in the soil pipe......

:rolleyes:

NigeF were you agreeing with me? :LOL:

Will have a look under the manhole later this week. If I still don't know what to do will post pictures :)

bpowell555 said:

Yes, grate prob. cemented........can you give us a clue to which part of Sussex...I`m intrigued? Not Fulking, Nr Brighton, is it...Fulking Hill? I`m fairly near God`s Waiting Room :LOL: :LOL:

bpowell555 said:

Will have a look under the manhole later this week. If I still don't know what to do will post pictures :)
What did you find there?

I know what I found under mine when I had the same kitchen drain symptoms - just wondered if you had as much fun.... :evil:

Actually it was all clear... seems the flow is ok after all. The smell is from a build up of scum in the drainhead. Probllem being the grate is cemented in so I'll have to hacksaw that out; get in with the rubber gloves then stick on a plastic replacement... Still haven't got round to it - its all in the planning!!!

:)

First post AUG,9... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: get some Jeyes Fluid down it. ;)

Heh what can I say, I'm fookin efficient :)

I dumped a load of caustic down there - will Jeyes fluid work?

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back