Blocked Drain - I'm Going In...

Cementing grates and manholes seems to be relatively common around here (N Yorks). The idea, according to builders who have told me, is that this prevents children lifting the lids and falling in. In my previous house, the drop into the drains was significant, so I can see the logic. However, you don't feel that way when you want it open right that second!

I got some sort of "best of both worlds" by putting sleeve anchors into the sides of the manhole, then bolting a length of bar into place across the cover. It's (relatively) secure and (relatively) accessible, but YMMV.

M

Sponsored Links
well, I bought some Jeyes... should I dump the whole can in there in one go? Is 1 litre.. usefully no instructions on packet :)

Splash it about.it`s a powerful and smelly disinfectant (I like the smell :LOL: ) don`t waste it all@ once ;)

Well, I poured it all in :) see how that does it. Cat was still alive this morning so I guess the cover didn't fall off :(

Will report back with a sniff test later...

Sponsored Links
Didn't think Jeyes would actually dissolve congealed grease?

Do you know anybody with a steam cleaner?

ban-all-sheds said:

No it won`t- but it kills the bugs and smells nice :LOL:

Nige F said:
ban-all-sheds said:

No it won`t- but it kills the bugs and smells nice :LOL:
So when the drain backs up, and floods the garden/patio/driveway with grey, lumpy, greasy water, at least it won't smell bad....

Why has she got a steam cleaner?

The sort used for curtains and bathroom grouting will probably not do for the drain (worth a try though).

I was thinking of the sort used for car engines etc....

Its a small cleaner for carpets and tile grout with a nozzle attachment.. reckon after a turn in the dishwasher the nozzle will be good as new.

As for whether the drain is going to back up - I figure either the way the place is going to stink.

Jeyes: smelsh goot ya :cool:

Ok the mods may have me or not on this -- but its the same topic just a couple of years (edit: well, 12 months actually:cool: ) is all it took to fix!!!

So, its blocked. Water is rising up and its stagnant. Clearly Jeyes alone is not enough! 24oz rubber mallet, cold chisel and marigolds, smash an arm sized whole through the grate, scoop out the rancid water and dead stuff then get stuck in pulling out the lumps of congealed grease... its a good test of the gag reflex :)

Best bit was, I opened up the drain cover by the side thinking the neighbours link to it from their bathroom was just the sink - naive fool! Sure enough its the old dears bedtime, but its good to know she's got a healthy diet as a fine turd sailed past under my admiring gaze :eek:

Big pack of caustic and a splash of jeyes and its now good enough to eat yer dinner off, although I need to get a replacement plastic grate to drop ontop the old one.

Marvellous :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back