boxer van key code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning my Boxer van wouldn't start because it couldn't read the key code, it has done this before but has always eventually started.I tried the spare and had the same problem. Is this a main dealer job or is there something i can do myself to fix it?

Sponsored Links
First i would check the pick up ring which is located around the ignition barrel behind the plastic cowling,i have had a few of these where the connections come loose or the wires brake.I will come back to you tomorrow with some more suggestions.

skippster76 said:
First i would check the pick up ring which is located around the ignition barrel behind the plastic cowling,i have had a few of these where the connections come loose or the wires brake.I will come back to you tomorrow with some more suggestions.

Many thanks for that il check it this evening.Had the van into a main dealer today and they said it needed a new immobiliser at just over £1,000 just about half of what the vans worth. It is starting but only very occasionally. Can the immobiliser be bypassed? All suggestions welcome.
Cheers.

Answer is no as it effects the ECU's operation,The immobiliser normally cuts the fuel and or cranking of the starter,ill have a look at my notes to see if its anything else but i need to know the make and model pls if you could.jim.

Sponsored Links
Hello.The van is a V reg. 1999 swb boxer panel van 1905cc diesel. ive just checked the pick up ring as suggested and the wires seem to be o.k. Thanks.

Hi iv'e checked my notes and to be honest its not looking good for you thats the trouble with this french SH#T you carnt really get around it.What lights are on the dash when the van wont start and how bright are they,also what colour key are you using and do you have the master key and do you have the over ride card which is like a credit card with several numbers on?just so i can see if i can help you out.jim.

Hello again,the lights on the dash are the usual ones, oil, battery, glow plugs and one that says key code which usually goes out after a couple of seconds but is now staying lit.All these lights are as bright as they always have been.
As for the keys,i bought the van at auction 2 years ago, it came with 2 normal looking keys i.e. black fob and a key blade, both of these have worked fine until recently, now both keys fail to extinguish the key code light. Ive never seen an overide card for the vehicle or a master key.

Thanks.

Personally i think you are going to be into a new immobilser as ive checked to see if you can overide it and the only way was with that key code and as you havent got this i think your up sh#t creek without a paddle or you could spend £1100 on a new one,i personally would cut my losses and put it back into the auction and with the funds and the £1100 you where going to spend on a new immobiliser get something else or if you can get it going part x it,sorry i could'nt be any more use but its the french doing it to us again "Bastards".jim.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

sorry but still check that pick up ring though around the ignition lock,cheers jim.

Thanks for your help, il ponder over my options this weekend and make a decision. il check the pick up ring again today, you never know.
Thanks for your help.
B.J.

I had a conversation with a very helpful mechanic and the parts store manager at a peugeot dealership yesterday. They said the immobiliser is built into the injection pump and bolted in with shear head bolts, so to access it you have to remove these bolts first. The immobiliser can then be removed and the wiring changed so it becomes inoperative.and the unit replaced into the pump.They said i will still have the key code light glowing on the dash though, but if i can live with this it can be done.Of course they wern't able to do it, but said they have known it done and to be succesful.I am speaking to someone tomorrow about it and to see what sort of costs we are talking about.

I had a conversation with a very helpful mechanic and the parts store manager at a peugeot dealership yesterday. They said the immobiliser is built into the injection pump and bolted in with shear head bolts, so to access it you have to remove these bolts first. The immobiliser can then be removed and the wiring changed so it becomes inoperative.and the unit replaced into the pump.They said i will still have the key code light glowing on the dash though, but if i can live with this it can be done.Of course they wern't able to do it, but said they have known it done and to be succesful.I am speaking to someone tomorrow about it and to see what sort of costs we are talking about.
They also said if i had the red key and the key code they would have been able to re-program it. :(

That sounds like it might be a good idea,the sheer bolts should be alittle tricky as they have no heads to remove them,what you need is a auto electrician so they can sort the wiring out and someone competent as a mistake might end up with a bill for more than the £1100 for the immobiliser.just choose someone with a good reputation.jim.

Hello again, spoke to a mechanic who mot's and does work on my van and told him about the problem. I dropped the van off on tuesday morning, i've just called in to see how its going and its ready to pick up. He has had the pump off and disconnected the immoboliser and even got the "key code" light out on the dash (probably took the bulb out).Cost of this work was £140 so ive saved myself a good few quid.
Just thought ive keep all those interested up to date and thanks again to Skippster 76 for his help and advice.

Hi im glad you got it done as trying to get rid of it would have been alot of hassle and then trying to get some thing to replace it,£140 is alot easier on the old wallet though than that rediculous price of the main dealer.jim

I have a similar problem to biker can he indicate the elecrician that fix his for £140, I am not too far away accross the Pennines

Sponsored Links
Back