plasterboard a conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi any one tried plaster boarding and insulating a conservatory roof .Its freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer so its a waste of space was thinking of doing it with clips to hold it up like secondary glazing

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Since the change in regulations October last year this is now permissible, previously it wasn’t. You need to be careful that your roof structure & ring beam (if you have one) will support the additional weight. Not sure if you’re proposing to board out in parallel with the exiting roof or create a suspended ceiling but I’d forget any sort of clip as far as plasterboard is concerned, it needs to be a secure mechanical fixing.

There have been a few historical threads on this topic & the search engine should throw them up; //search.diynot.com/forum_sear...tbytime=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

There are also a couple of links to companies doing this sort of thing in the threads or you could PM joe90 who appears to be considering doing this commercially //www.diynot.com/forums/roofing-guttering/insulating-conservatory-roofs.297802/#2170368 You never know, you could be his first customer. :LOL:

Probably spend more time talking about doom and how cold fusion isnt viable and is there a coal seam under the shed?

hi any one tried plaster boarding and insulating a conservatory roof
Not sure of you can do this according to the building regs(?)

At least 50% of area that will form the external boundary / edge of the conservatory must be glazed and 75% of the roof area to be covered with either glass or polycarbonate

Its freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer so its a waste of space was thinking of doing it with clips to hold it up like secondary glazing
I'm in my conservatory every nights during the winter and fitted a cast iron stove, no problem in the cold winter anymore ;) :D

Not sure of you can do this according to the building regs(?)
At least 50% of area that will form the external boundary / edge of the conservatory must be glazed and 75% of the roof area to be covered with either glass or polycarbonate
Regs changed rather significantly in October 2010; minimum % glazing is no longer a requirement; several other changes about size & permissible heating made so worth checking it out; http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories

I'm in my conservatory every nights during the winter and fitted a cast iron stove, no problem in the cold winter anymore ;) :D
Good option if you have free wood (as I do) but as we have a nice big multi-fuel stove in our lounge it makes far more sense for us to shut the cons down during winter months apart from odd sunny days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back