New landline phone: always off hook?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a BT Decor 1200 land line phone.

The problem is it always seems to be off hook. If I lift the receiver, there is no sound. So I remove and reinsert the phone plug at the wall socket, which gives me a dial tone.

If I phone in from another phone, I get a message prompting me to leave a 1571 phone message.

Most disturbing, at odd times of the day and even in the middle of the night the phone gives a distorted "chirp" sound for a couple of seconds. Like someone is faxing a phone line or something.

I have broadband and the phone is connected to a filter.
My 12-yr old BT phone still works OK, but this brand new phone doesn't seem to be compatible or something.

Sponsored Links
My router has wireless turned off.
The router is on a telephone extension in the next room.

Router shouldn't be plugged into an extension socket. It should be plugged into the master socket, although I don't think that's your problem. Does your new phone have an answering machine built in? Perhaps the settings are set wrongly for the phone. I know I can set mine to automatically go to answering machine straight away, or after a set amount of time without answer.

Sponsored Links
The problem is it always seems to be off hook. If I lift the receiver, there is no sound. So I remove and reinsert the phone plug at the wall socket, which gives me a dial tone.

It sounds very much like a faulty phone which is permanently looping the line, even when hung up.

It sounds very much like a faulty phone which is permanently looping the line, even when hung up.

The phone does not have an answering machine.

I suppose the phone could be faulty, despite being brand new and not a cheapo phone.

I was thinking that the new phone might be more sensitive to noise on the line or something, compared to my old, solid BT phone.

try that phone in a different socket, and a different phone in that socket. You can take the phone to someone else's house if you like.

Whichever one the fault stays with is likely faulty

if you have an extension socket, it is possible the extension is incorrectly wired.

The original BT socket is most likely to be corectly wired.

try that phone in a different socket, and a different phone in that socket. You can take the phone to someone else's house if you like.

Whichever one the fault stays with is likely faulty

if you have an extension socket, it is possible the extension is incorrectly wired.

The original BT socket is most likely to be corectly wired.

It's the same behaviour on the main socket and the extension socket. No dial tone/off hook. Reinserting the plug gives you a dial tone and lets you make a call. But that's all.

I unplugged and then replugged the router cable in the telephone extension in the spare room.
The phone is on the main socket.
Voila! The dial tone returns and everything works OK.

Sponsored Links
Back