Water leaking from heat exchanger in gloworm 30sxi boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gloworm 30SXi boiler and it is leaking water from the bottom of the heat exchanger. Read in another post that this is a common fault.

Pressure is only 1.2 bar and it does not leak all the time and it is only a drip but obviusly acuumulates a fair amount of water inside after a few days.

I had a gas safe plumber round who seemed ok quoted a reasonable price to replace the seal and also replace my hot water valve that is no longer working.

He then phoned up saying that it must be the hat exchanger damaged if it is leaking and recommended replacing the whole boiler for £1200.

Anyone on here know if it is more likely to just be the gasket/seal on the heat exchanger door?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Phone manufacturer of the boiler; "Gloworm". They will charge, but they will have the parts to deal with it, with as little hassle as possible.

Only the persoin who has inspected it can see where he thinks its leaking.

I thought the connections to the HE were sealed by an "O" ring which does sometimes leak?

Tony

Sponsored Links
If its not been looked at for a while it may have the old silicone burner door seal which MUST be changed,they also leak condense from the flue collector,any of these need an experienced RGI.As said before, makers fixed price repair may be best option.

i would be fairly confident its leaking from the seal between the heat exchanger and the flue collector, a small light and mirror and a decent engineer should confirm this.

It is leaking at the top of the boiler at the flue, not the heat exchanger door seal, it is just running around the heat exchanger and dripping off the bottom of that.

What would be the cause of this type of leak and what needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks for all the replies. I like to know what is wrong and what needs doing as from experience there are some dodgy tradesman out there, such as the first one who just wanted to put in a complete new boliler!

sounds like the flue collector, but i cant see it only guessing. 90mins max to replace it. not sure what the part cost is these days should be less than £100. Just find someone decent and sure it will get sorted. I've never seen a gianonni heat exchanger leak externally, so I would be confident writing this off as a possible fault. When they leak the water dissapears down the condense.

If you are sure that you can see that it is leaking from the flue and running down the front of the heat exchanger, then it will very likely be one of the seals in the flue system. Generally caused from installation where the installer cuts the flue but doesn't clean the rough cut which damages the flue seal.
This tends to rear its ugly head later on in life.
Other wise it's like mickyg says being the flue collector or the burner seal.

Either way, they are all repairable with parts and a good gas engineer or manufacturer as long as it hasn't been left to rot the boiler.
Condense products will corrode steel panels so the quicker it is dealt with the better.

Leaking through the flue is a known issue on ecoTEC because some of the flue seals are failing, wrinkling up. This lets water into the air inlet which then dribbles over the heat exchanger and ponds in the lower case.

Are any of the flue connections rusty outside the boiler? Even a small rust stain on a joint is a tell tale.

NB: Later flues have a different seal ring material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back