Cable Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a local tradesman install wiring for 2 electric showers. The showers are both rated as 10.5Kw. However, having just had a plumber in today he has just told me he believes the cable is 6mm cable.
Daft question, but is cable simply measured by the diameter of the wire?? :?:

Sponsored Links
No - Cross sectional area of the live and neutral conductor.

Best way to tell 6mm² from 10mm² is to see weather the earth conductor is a single strand or multi strand.

In a 6mm² Twin and Earth cable, the earth will be a single strand of 2.5mm² CSA

In a 10mm² Twin and Earth cable, the earth will be a mutil strand with a CSA of 4mm².

Notice the ² - Many people simply write mm when they mean mm²

Ensure 'Num Lock' at keypad is on.
Press 'alt' key and hold down, type 0178 at numeric pad only.

Hence Alt+0178 = ²
:D

Sponsored Links
²

Yep works....

I just copy and paste it from the pointless post I made in the For Reference sticky! (page 3)

There are many more symbols you can add in the same way by using different numbers
® by Alt 169
© by Alt 184
¿ by Alt 168
~ by Alt 126
Remember to hold down Alt and use the numbers on the keypad, not the ones above the letters.

Oh and another little tip when net surfing, for .com's omit the www. & .com just type the name and hold Ctrl and press enter. The www. & .com will be added for you.

If you have Word you can use Insert Symbol and then copy'n'paste, and on a Windoze system you can use Character Map.

note that this forum is ISO-8859-1 and doesn't allow html entities in posts to become html entities in the actual page

so for example you can't use omega in your posts here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back