Tilt and turn window unit leaking...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, I am experiencing a problem with a upvc double glazed tilt & turn unit. Whenever rain hits the South facing window it leaks in from the bottom, I had a double glazing firm out last year who fitted the weather strip on the window, this didn’t really help matters. I was then advised to drill extra drainage holes in the frame which I have done in the middle and at the end, the drainage channel is clear, poured water into it using a jug and it happily ran out through the drain holes. I don’t really want to splash out on a new window so any advice would be appreciated.
I have included a few photos below, note the stone designates where a stream of water is visible on the frame when raining.
Cheers group

Note: The window opens inwards

Sponsored Links
you need to think laterally here the water may be entering far away from where it appears
does the water appear from between the opening and frame or below the frame ??

Thanks for the reply, if you look at picture #3, when the window has been opened during a rainy spell, the water is sitting in both the channels that I have drilled holes in. If you enlarge the picture you can actually see residual droplets in there..

How is the external drip fitted, you may need to seal along the top of it if water is running behind it

Sponsored Links
the point i am making is the path could be very different to what you think

i have traced damp below the sitting room to the window above

water can run to the lowest point then drip down even under surfaces

I rectified a fix for this, although not ideal it has worked and has been puddle free for months, I located the seep holes in the lower part of the frame, and drilled holes directly above them. The water simply drips/runs right out of the gutter. Like I say, not ideal but it has worked.
Thank you for all the advice, Otto

First thing you need to do is fill those extra drainage holes you added ASAP, they are in the WRONG channels!!! All they are doing is filling up the frame with water and quite possibly running down your cavity and can cause much bigger problems.

That's impossible, the drainage holes go direct to the window ledge, I can see the concrete sill underneath, no water is backing up.
Regards Otto

Leaking tilt and turn window?
I had the same thing happen to me and all the window people did not have a clue! So check the rubber seal around the glass on the exterior as mine had gaps at either end where it had shrunk. I filled it with silicone sealant and seems to have worked! Plus i replaced gasket seals on window frame for good measure. Hope this helps someone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back