Magnaclean Fernox Tf1 & Spirotech. Agree with the review

Sponsored Links
Apart from the earlier problems with leaks the Magnaclean is IMO the best system filter. I have had one fitted to my system in excess of 18 months and the results are superb. No suspended magnetite gets past the very powerful magnet. The isolating taps have been improved and the seals pose no problems. The only drawback is that the 28mm is a bit of a lump.
I have attended systems with other filters fitted and none of them match the Magnaclean. I shall wait now for the incoming flak. :)

The Magnaclean Pro is magnetic and, as such does not catch non-magnetic debris as well the others do. They state effective magnetic and efficient non-magnetic filtration
Well, not unless you fit the just-released retrofit Sheath Upgrade which is said to improve non-magnetic filtration.

Have trialled the spirotech and the magnaclean on the same system (ie my own). Although the spirotech is a solid bit of kit and won't fail now or in ten years, it doesn't catch anywhere near as much crud. I do hope they've sorted the leak problem on the magnas as I've gone back to using them. The new sheath thing seems to work - opened it up to see if it had caught anything on a recent job and found a blob of solder in it. :oops:

Sponsored Links
What Hufty said is reinforced by a recent product test I saw. Can't remember who carried it out. The Magnaclean came out top for trapping magnetite. The Spirotech was praised for solid construction, but performed worst by a long way, although it also filters non-magnetic debris. The second best was the Fernox tf1, but where it excelled over the Magna was that it can also filter out non-magnetic crud.

I have been put off of Magnas because of too many past problems, so still don't fit them. Time will tell if they have improved. I was fitting Spiros, until the poor test results, but now only use Fernox tf1, as they offer the best of both worlds, ie. good performance and non-magnetic filtration.

That test was commissioned by Adey who manufacturer the magnaclean, that makes me suspicious! although having said that the results are not surprising and also bare in mind the test was with the spirotech not the magnabooster, who knows if it makes much difference. I would say the maganclean is most effective, spirotech best build quality and the TF1 fits nicely between the 2. What i dont like about the magnaclean is well, alot actually, firstly to clean it you need to operate and rely on 2 iso valves(history of leaks), then you have to remove the lid, which disturbs a seal(more leak history) and often the lid is so firmly wedged on you have to put an abnormal amount of pressure into undoing the thing, and then if its not dead straight you dribble water all over the floor. In contrast the TF1 you remove the dry pocket magnet and open a valve into a bucket, easy. The valve is the only thing you distrub and if it ever lets by you can pop a washer inside the cap or use a combi fill loop cap. I dont think the spirotech catches much , so for me TF1 easy decision. Going back to magnaclean is like going back to Ideal, some people are a glutton for punishment :D

Tf1 gets my vote, but magnaclean twin tech does intrest me more over the standard magnaclean.

I haven't read/heard much on here about the Twintech, do many people use them?

Is there any truth in the findings of this review with regards to cleaning the TF1?

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/fernox-tf1-or-magnaclean-filter-t26859.html

I was near 99% on the magnabooster then further reading swayed me to the TF1 followed by the MagnaClean Professional and now I’m thinking the TF1 again.

Need to make up my mind so that I can order one up tomorrow.
It’s going to be used on my Potteron Kingfisher 2 (28mm) return pipe.

In summary:
Magnaclean picks up the best Magnetic particles, though doesn’t pickup normal non magnetic dirt.
Has the highest trap (dirt) container. Though many reported incidents of leaks. Leaks may have been resolved with modifications. I.e. better seals, new isolation taps seem to have changed from red to black.

TF1 picks up both magnetic and non magnetic dirt, and seems to be fairing well from installers, with low reports of leaks and if any possibly due to not fitting correctly coloured seals.

Spirotech Magnabooster solid in construction, picks up both metallic and non metallic but is questionable in the collection of both, also has a smaller collection trap.

Twintec out as no 28mm version is available.

not had those problems. I've checked a few I've emptied and they seem to clear out ok.....and to fill the thing up in an hour :eek: I think thats a system that needs more than a TF1 !
Also in terms of emptying it, it does have a 1/2" thread on it. If a plumber cant think of something to attach to it.. :rolleyes:

To add the newer magnaclean does have a collector for debris now at the base. But still a vote for the tf1 more addaptable to fit too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back