New Holgen light 4 old pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've trawled through countless sites to try and find answer to this so hopefully someone can help. Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn't see it.
I have loop in wiring and want to replace an old celing rose/pendant with a new fitting. This new fitting is Halogen and has a transformer built into the top of it. It has a mounting bar and acn not be fitted over the old rose/pendant. The (very basic) instructions tell me to install a fire proof box. Having looked into to this it seems a very long winded way of connecting up the light - pulling up floorboards, cutting out holes, screwing planks in between the joists, fitting junction box flush with the celing etc. However, the electrician chap in B&Q looked bozz eyed at me when I asked about this and said just take down the old fitting, connect the new light with connector blocks, wrap up in tape and pop the connections up through the hole in the celing. Is it ok (and safe) to do this???
:confused:

Sponsored Links
No No No

Be very carefull about advice from DIY Stores. If the manufafturer has stated it needs a fire proof hood (intumescent) then that is what it needs. Did this helpful soul tell you that you cant drown in an inch of water?

Also taping up terminal connections is not allowed. If you use a terminal block it must be contained in an appropriate enclosure such as a Chok box.

Dafulang said:
the electrician chap in B&Q looked bozz eyed at me when I asked about this and said just take down the old fitting, connect the new light with connector blocks, wrap up in tape and pop the connections up through the hole in the celing. Is it ok (and safe) to do this???
:confused:

Trading Standards would probably be interested in someone giving out poor advice.

Our Old college lecturer has had a long running battle over this aforementioned store over the items they sell i.e. CCU's and the advice given by their staff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Qedelec. So do I use a junction box fitted flush with the ceiling? The stuff I have read suggest that if I do this then I will lbe able to screw the mounting bar through the holes in the junction box. But to do this then I won't be able to put the lid on the box so surely it won't then be fireproof!!! If I fit the junction box in the ceiling void, won't connecting the light to it be a bit of a nightmare. And what happens if I ever want to change the light in the future. Can of worms..... :oops:

Sounds like the light you have puchased is not suitable for the enviroment.
If the Manufacturer has stipulated a fire proof hood then they expect the fitting to get quite hot.

You should speak to their technical department for advice.

Junction boxes fulfill the regs as do terminal blocks enclosed in a backbox/dryline pattress etc. My point was that taped terminals are not permissable

Dafulang said:
the electrician chap in B&Q looked bozz eyed at me when I asked about this
This was him, wasn't it

B&QMAN.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Qedelec said:
If the Manufacturer has stipulated a fire proof hood then they expect the fitting to get quite hot.
Firehoods are nothing to do with heat from the fitting, and everything to do with restoring the fire rating of the ceiling after cutting ****** great holes in it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back