renovating an old cast iron fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am being given an old cast iron fire place alas it has been painted with gloss.Does anyone know how to strip without damage and what do i do to get it to its original look ?Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Just done one for a client. Used nitromores to strip the 10-12 layers of paint. then a wire brush in an electric drill to get the last few bits of paint off & give a slight sheen to the high spots. Once it is back to bare metal apply Liberon Iron Paste with a shoe brush, let dry then buff to the required sheen.

Don't rush the stripping, It took me about 10hrs over two days to get all the paint off.

Jason

Hi,
ive seen the Nitromorse can the Iron paste be bought at a DIY shop? I know the cast iron firplace is heavly gloss painted ( nightmare!!!)

You will not get the paste from a DIY shop, use the link I posted they will deliver next day.

The fireplace I did had at least 10 different colours of gloss, took about 4 applications of the stripper to get right through it.

Back to the same house on Monday, will take a pic of the finished fireplace and post it here.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Jason,

Do know what the temperature rating of the Liberon Iron Paste is? Can't see it on the link. I've have been using high temperature paint on the outside my cast iron chimenea casing but does peel off after a period of time.

Jasonb said:
Back to the same house on Monday, will take a pic of the finished fireplace and post it here.

Jason
Please post a picture ! thanks for the info i will let you know if i get stuck i collect the fireplace tomorrow

Just a thought.....what about taking the fireplace to be dipped?..its should cost that much and will save time, elbow grease and the warming feeling of Nitromors when a bit ands on your wrist/arms

Hi,
have almost got down to the cast iron with the nitromorse ! Took me nearly all day.Its a green colour which now looks like primer !! I might just paint it as the insert is black as is the grate.What paint would you suggest??Im not sure of the age it has a patent number engraved in the rear .

Does not give a temp range but says not suitable for wood burning stoves, they have a technical helpline, 01797 361136, may be worth a call. There used to be several other products that could be used but most have been withdrawn due to the lead content.

Jason

Fireplaces and paint.

I stripped 3 bedroom ones in our house. All painted in thick old paint from about the 50's. Yes it took hours and hours, or was it days, in fact I gave up at times on nitromoors and simply chisled the thicker paint off as it was so hard. Bit of care needed of course, an older blunt chisel worked best, without damaging the metal. Then nitromoors and a wire brush. Then wire wool and nitrom later for the intricate pattern in metal. Then a rub down with white spirit/turps/meths? can't recall which. Then with all bare metal showing, I used zebrite firegrate black. It goes on really well. You can leave it to dry to a matt finish, or as I did let it dry and then buff it with different pressures to give a semi polished look, or completely polished silver/black look. Ours have been done for years and require little to no maintenance.

im onto my second bottle of nitromourse it will be worth it !
Im down to a green layer which looks like primer its very aqward around the beading areas.Ive stripped quite a few layers off and found all sorts of patterns !
Ive bought some cast iron paint ( spray) heat resistant to finish as the insert is black as is the grate .I intend to leave the beading in natural .Im told it a Victorian one.Underneath the years of gloss its very nice !

Forgot my camera pixy, will try again tomorrow.

Zebrite is no longer available, something to do with the lead content.

Jason

jasonb
i would like to see a picture as it will give me some ideas when i come asround to paint it .I want it part black but part original cast iron colour

Here you go Pixy, have a look at This pic and the next two. Kept it quite dark but a bit more work with a wirebrush or flapwheel in an electric drill will give a more "silver" look to the raised detail.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back