Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an outside light. Next to the door is a two way light switch the left hand switch controls the downstairs light. The right hand switch controls the upstairs landing light. I want to make the downstairs light redundant and use the power off this for the new ouside light. Would i have to feed a new wire from the ceiling rose to the new light or can i change the wires around in the light fitting to feed the old wires in the light switch? Help would be appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
yes you would have to feed a new cable to the proposed outside light
a light requires live and neutral to work,however the switch only has lives passing through it. as you can hopefully see you would need to supply the new light with a neutral so that when the switch is toggled the lamp will light
:LOL:

edit
re -read your post and as you no longer want the 2nd light(on switch) if you can disconnect these cables within the light fitting and re-run them to the new light position then robert is your mothers brother...etc

:p

spence_spark said:
yes you would have to feed a new cable to the proposed outside light
a light requires live and neutral to work,however the switch only has lives passing through it. as you can hopefully see you would need to supply the new light with a neutral so that when the switch is toggled the lamp will light
:LOL:

edit
re -read your post and as you no longer want the 2nd light(on switch) if you can disconnect these cables within the light fitting and re-run them to the new light position then robert is your mothers brother...etc

OK, i have opened the light fitting up and connected the Black, Red and Earth to the black red and earth that used to be connected to the switch (taking the red sleave off the black from the light fitting). The Three wires that used to be in the switch are now feeding the new outside light. The light is now working.

I now want to replace the double switch as only one of the switches are now needed. Within this switch that is controling the upstairs light is a Red, Black, Yellow and Earth. Where would these wires go in a single switch.

Thanks

Red, Black, Yellow and E?

Not Red Blue Yellow and E?

Anyhow, the wires would go in the same terminals in the replacement switch. In a two-way switch, there is one terminal which is common to the other two (called C, common, and sometimes, confusingly, L1).

The terminals on a two way are often labelled C, L1 and L2.

Sometimes L1, L2 and L3.

In either case, the wire in terminal C at the moment goes to terminal C of the new switch, and likewise with L1 and L2.

And if you have a switch with L1, L2 and L3 then L1 is common, and the remaining two conductors go in the other terminals.

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry Red, Blue, Yellow and Earth is in the switch. Why is this for the switch and not the light. Because the colours in the light fitting i took the power for the outside light are Black, Red and Earth why would they not be the same as in the switch?.

What is the yellow used for anyway?

JFD7000 said:
Why is this for the switch and not the light.
What is the yellow used for anyway?
The answer is in your original post:
JFD7000 said:
Next to the door is a two way light switch
I think you should do a bit more research on how houses are wired up before you start fiddling with yours.

You'll find diagrams of 2-way switch wiring in the For Reference section, and pointers to useful books....

wasnt asking for an opinion, was asking for help thanks Ban-all-sheds

Thanks securespark and Spence_spark for your help much appreciated.

If anybody does have any good websites for reference on wiring a home help would be apprecaited.

Thanks

JFD7000 said:
If anybody does have any good websites for reference on wiring a home help would be apprecaited.

Thanks

as you have been told, read the for refernce section and the information there in, it is really usefull

JFD7000 said:
wasnt asking for an opinion, was asking for help thanks Ban-all-sheds
You asked "Why is this for the switch and not the light.... the colours in the light fitting.... are Black, Red and Earth why would they not be the same as in the switch?.... What is the yellow used for anyway?"

And I told you where to find the answer. What's wrong with that? The whole point of the For Reference section is that it contains basic reference info that provides the answers to many basic and common questions. It saves everybody time from having to churn out the same answers over and over again.

Why do you think I shouldn't have pointed you at it? Why do you think that people here should have to give up their time to answer your questions when all you have to do is to read the information that is already here?

i agree with ban-all-sheds,

JFD7000, look at it this way.

some one comes up to you and asks the way to the same street you live in, so you tell them.

next day some one comes up to you and asks the way to the same street you live in, so you tell them.

next day some one comes up to you and asks the way to the same street you live in, so you tell them.

after a while you get fed up answering the same old question, so you give them a map with directions drawn on it. Well that is exactly what we have done, our "map" is in for reference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back