Dimmer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a single bulb with a dimmable 3 x 40w spot light & now the dimmer will not work - Help :cry:

Sponsored Links
If your new spotlight is a low voltage jobby then you'll need a new low voltage switch. Standard dimmer switches won't work with low voltage spots because the dimmer is only lowering the input voltage to the transformer (which isn't good practice at all!) not to the transformer's output, which is what you want.

question for cobweb, what do you suppose happens if you use an electronic dimable transformer?

A) the input voltage gets reduced

you are right in respect of an ordainairy transformer and you can not use a dimmer with this, however as it is a light with 3 x 40 watt lights, i have not heard of a 40watt low voltage lamp, 20w 50 w and higher but not 40.

I would therfore assume that the new light has 3 x 40 mains lamps, and it has been connected wrong (it is easily done)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back